Interaction of Income Distribution, Taxes and Economic Growth (The Case of Iran and Some Selected East Asian Countries)
The impact of fiscal policies on economic activities is one of the most important issues in both theory and practice. In this paper, we analyze economic growth and income distribution effects of tax and also the impact of inequality on economic growth in Iran and some selected East Asian countries. For this, we use panel data regression in the period of 1990-2006. The Results denote that the impact of goods and services tax on inequality and growth is insignificant, but the ratios of tax on income, profits and capital gains have positive and significant effects on Gini index and growth. International trade tax has a negative effect on growth. We also find evidence of a positive impact of income inequality on growth.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (winter)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 14155-6445, Postal Code 14114, Tehran|
Web page: http://economics.ut.ac.ir/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10096 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ales Bulir & Anne Marie Gulde, 1995. "Inflation and Income Distribution; Further Evidenceon Empirical Links," IMF Working Papers 95/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1998.
"Monetary Policy and the Well-Being of the Poor,"
NBER Working Papers
6793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christina D. Romer & David Romer, 1999. "Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q I, pages 21-49.
- Christina D. Romer & David Romer, 1998. "Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 159-201.
- Eric M. Engen & Jonathan Skinner, 1992. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 4223, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1991.
"Factor Shares and Savings In Endogenous Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996.
"Income distribution, political instability, and investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chu, K.-y. & Davoodi, H. & Gupta, S., 2000. "Income Distribution and Tax, and Government Social Spending Policies in Developing Countries," Research Paper 214, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Bigsten , Arne & Levin, Jörgen, 2000.
"Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review,"
Working Papers in Economics
32, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Bigsten, Arne & Levin, Jorgen, 2001. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Arne Bigsten & JÃ¶rgen Levin, 2010. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Poverty: A Review," Working Papers id:3296, eSocialSciences.
- Gareth Myles, 2000. "Taxation and economic growth," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(1), pages 141-168, March.
- Anneli Kaasa, 2003. "Factors Influencing Income Inequality In Transition Economies," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 18, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Jha, S.K., 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Income Distribution, and Growth," Papers 67, Asian Development Bank.
- By Ales BulÌr, 2001.
"Income Inequality: Does Inflation Matter?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(1), pages 5-5.
- Perotti, Roberto & Alesina, Alberto, 1996. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4553018, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lee, Young & Gordon, Roger H., 2005. "Tax structure and economic growth," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 1027-1043, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eut:journl:v:15:y:2010:i:1:p:67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ([z.rahimalipour])
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.