The Law of Verdoorn: Evidence from Greek Disaggregated Manufacturing Time Series Data
This paper tests the validity of Verdoorn’s law in Greek manufacturing. Through the Generalised Method of Moments (GMM) methodology, estimates of the Verdoorn law in aggregated and disaggregated manufacturing Greek data are obtained in order to explain disparities in income and growth among Greek manufacturing sectors. The results provided evidence that increasing returns to scale with certain, albeit low, substitutability possibilities between capital and labour are present in Greek manufacturing groups.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jefferson, Gary H, 1988. "The Aggregate Production Function and Productivity Growth: Verdoorn's Law Revisited," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 671-91, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier J. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1987.
"Hysteresis in unemployment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 288-295.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bairam, Erkin, 1990. "Verdoorn's Original Model and the Verdoorn Law Controversy: Some New Empirical Evidence Using the Australian Manufacturing Data," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(54), pages 107-12, June.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Foerster, Stephen R., 1994. "Finite sample properties of the generalized method of moments in tests of conditional asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-55, August.
- Perron, P., 1989.
"Testing For A Unit Root In A Time Series With A Changing Mean,"
347, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1990. "Testing for a Unit Root in a Time Series with a Changing Mean," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 153-62, April.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Boulier, B L, 1984. "What Lies behind Verdoorn's Law?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 259-67, June.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- McCombie, J S L & de Ridder, J R, 1984. ""The Verdoorn Law Controversy": Some New Empirical Evidence Using U.S. State Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 268-84, June.
- Papatheodorou, Yorgos E., 1991. "Production structure and cyclical behaviour : Modelling the supply block of the Greek economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1449-1471, October.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 1983. "A Plain Man's Guide to Kaldor's Growth Laws," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 5(3), pages 345-358, April.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1979. "A Note on Verdoorn's Law," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 131-33, March.
- Coen, Robert M, 1975. "Investment Behavior, the Measurement of Depreciation, and Tax Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 59-74, March.
- Hodgson, Geoff, 1989. "Institutional Rigidities and Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 79-101, March.
- Ghysels, Eric & Hall, Alastair, 1990. "Are consumption-based intertemporal capital asset pricing models structural?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 121-139.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Thomas R. Michl, 1985. "International Comparisons of Productivity Growth: Verdoorn's Law Revisited," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 7(4), pages 474-492, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:34:y:2003:i:1:p:87-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.