Las tendencias de la pobreza y la desigualdad: una evidencia para los departamentos de Colombia
This study estimates poverty and inequality trends using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and panel data in Colombia during the sample period between 1993 and 2007. In this analysis, we suggest a DEA model to measure and rank poverty, inequality and development trends. The results from the DEA model show variation in the scores across Colombian departments during the sample period. A second-stage panel data analysis with fixed effects reveals that departments with higher population density, unemployment, homicide rates and property concentration have a lower efficiency score, whereas departments with higher health and education coverage and public investments have better results according to DEA and panel data estimations. Findings of this analysis demonstrate that the decrease in poverty and inequality could be achieved through adequate strategies that guarantee development and economic growth with policies concentrated to improve social welfare.
Volume (Year): XXX (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenida Lazaro Cardenas 4600 Ote., Fraccionamiento Residencial Las Torres, C.P. 64930. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon. México.|
Phone: +52 (81) 8329 4150
Fax: +52 (81) 8342 2897
Web page: http://www.economia.uanl.mx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Richard H. Jr., 2003. "Economic growth, inequality, and poverty : findings from a new data set," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2972, The World Bank.
- Fosu, Augustin K., 2010.
"Inequality, Income and Poverty: Comparative Global Evidence,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-93, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2010. "Inequality, Income, and Poverty: Comparative Global Evidence," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 91(s1), pages 1432-1446.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 2010. "Inequality, income and poverty: comparative global evidence," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 14010, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Per Andersen & Niels Christian Petersen, 1993. "A Procedure for Ranking Efficient Units in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1261-1264, October.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004.
"‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, December.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, December.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Christopher F Baum, 2001. "Residual diagnostics for cross-section time series regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 1(1), pages 101-104, November.
- Eiji Yamamura & Inyong Shin, 2009.
"Effects of Income Inequality on Growth through Efficiency Improvement and Capital Accumulation,"
International Economic Journal,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 237-258.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Shin, Inyong, 2008. "Effects of Income Inequality on Growth through Efficiency Improvement and Capital Accumulation," MPRA Paper 10220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Armando Galvis Aponte & Adolfo Meisel R., 2010. "Persistencia de las desigualdades regionales en Colombia: Un análisis espacial," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÍA REGIONAL 006631, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Fajnzylber, Pablo & Lederman, Daniel & Loayza, Norman, 2002. "Inequality and Violent Crime," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 1-40, April.
- J. A. Hausman, 1976.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
185, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hoff, Ayoe, 2007. "Second stage DEA: Comparison of approaches for modelling the DEA score," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 425-435, August.
- Easterly, William, 2000.
"the middle class consensus and economic development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2346, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William, 2001. "The Middle Class Consensus and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 317-35, December.
- Son, Hyun H. & Kakwani, Nanak, 2008. "Global Estimates of Pro-Poor Growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1048-1066, June.
- Paul Mosley & John Hudson & Arjan Verschoor, 2004. "Aid, Poverty Reduction and the 'New Conditionality'," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(496), pages F217-F243, 06.
- Miki Malul & Yossi Hadad & Avner Ben-Yair, 2009. "Measuring and ranking of economic, environmental and social efficiency of countries," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(8), pages 832-843, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Poor, Relatively Speaking," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 153-69, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ere:journl:v:xxx:y:2011:i:2:p:29-50. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dora María Vega Facio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.