Evolving and relative efficiency of MENA stock markets: evidence from rolling joint variance ratio tests
Multiple variance ratio tests, in rolling window procedure, were applied to weekly data (expressed in local and US dollar currencies) for five stock markets in the Middle East and North Africa during 1995-2009. Results indicated that the big and liquid stock markets of Israel and Turkey are ranked as the most efficient. The Egyptian and Moroccan stock markets converged towards efficiency by 2002, due to remarkable improvements in liquidity and information dissemination, whereas the Jordanian stock markets restored its efficiency at the end of the study period. Exchange rates did not matter in determining the dynamics of share returns for equity markets examined.
Volume (Year): XXXIII (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +52 (81) 8329 4150
Fax: +52 (81) 8342 2897
Web page: http://www.economia.uanl.mx
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith Jefferis & Graham Smith, 2004. "Capitalisation And Weak-Form Efficiency In The Jse Securities Exchange," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 72(4), pages 684-707, 09.
- Chow, K. Victor & Denning, Karen C., 1993.
"A simple multiple variance ratio test,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 385-401, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWDENNING: RATS procedure to perform Chow-Denning multiple variance ratio test," Statistical Software Components RTS00035, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné, 2009.
"Variance-Ratio Tests Of Random Walk: An Overview,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 503-527, 07.
- Rebecca Emerson & Stephen Hall & Anna Zalewska-Mitura, 1997.
"Evolving Market Efficiency with an Application to Some Bulgarian Shares,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 75-90, May.
- Emerson, Rebecca & Hall, Stephen G & Zalewska-Mitura, Anna, 1997. " Evolving Market Efficiency with an Application to Some Bulgarian Shares," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 30(2-3), pages 75-90.
- Rebecca Emerson & Stephen G. Hall & Anna Zalewska-Mitura, . "Evolving Market Efficiency with an Application to Some Bulgarian Shares," Ace Project Memoranda 96/18, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Hoque, Hafiz A.A.B. & Kim, Jae H. & Pyun, Chong Soo, 2007. "A comparison of variance ratio tests of random walk: A case of Asian emerging stock markets," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 488-502.
- Hyun-Jung Ryoo & Graham Smith, 2002. "Korean stock prices under price limits: variance ratio tests of random walks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 545-553.
- Poterba, James M. & Summers, Lawrence H., 1988.
"Mean reversion in stock prices : Evidence and Implications,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 27-59, October.
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1987. "Mean Reversion in Stock Prices: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 2343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buguk, Cumhur & Wade Brorsen, B., 2003. "Testing weak-form market efficiency: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 579-590.
- Naidu, G. N. & Rozeff, Michael S., 1994. "Volume, volatility, liquidity and efficiency of the Singapore Stock Exchange before and after automation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Martin Petri & Tahsin Saadi-Sedik, 2006. "The Jordanian Stock Marketâ€”Should You Invest in It for Risk Diversification or Performance?," IMF Working Papers 06/187, International Monetary Fund.
- Graham Smith, 2009. "Martingales in European emerging stock markets: Size, liquidity and market quality," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 249-262.
- Graham Smith & Keith Jefferis & Hyun-Jung Ryoo, 2002. "African stock markets: multiple variance ratio tests of random walks," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 475-484.
- Karemera, David & Ojah, Kalu & Cole, John A, 1999. " Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests: Evidence from Emerging Equity Markets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 171-88, September.
- Ghysels, Eric & Cherkaoui, Mouna, 2003. "Emerging markets and trading costs: lessons from Casablanca," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 169-198, February.
- Hiroyuki Kawakatsu & Matthew R. Morey, 1999. "An Empirical Examination Of Financial Liberalization And The Efficiency Of Emerging Market Stock Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 385-411, December.
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas & Lucey, Brian M., 2008. "Efficiency in emerging markets--Evidence from the MENA region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 94-105, February.
- Benjamin Auer & Martin Schuster, 2011. "Does the financial crisis influence the random walk behaviour of international stock markets?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 319-323.
- Roland Füss, 2005. "Financial Liberalization and Stock Price Behaviour in Asian Emerging Markets," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- Graham Smith, 2007. "Random walks in Middle Eastern stock markets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(7), pages 587-596.
- Kian‐Ping Lim & Robert Brooks, 2011. "The Evolution Of Stock Market Efficiency Over Time: A Survey Of The Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 69-108, 02.
- Graham Smith, 2008. "Liquidity And The Informational Efficiency Of African Stock Markets," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(2), pages 161-175, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ere:journl:v:xxxiii:y:2014:i:1:p:91-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dora María Vega Facio)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.