The role of outcome focus within subject positions tied to shareholder value
Purpose – This paper seeks to elaborate on how subject positions promoting shareholder value are infused with an outcome focus. Design/methodology/approach – The study employs Foucault's perspectives on government and the interrelations between objectivity and subjectivity in the analysis of in-depth case data gathered in one shareholder value-oriented-listed company and one non-listed company. Findings – The outside financial market discipline that objectifies shareholder value-oriented company executives makes them subjects in their own organisation, allowing them to redirect discipline onwards and thereby objectify their subordinates. The non-listed company executives, due to the relatively closed governance structure of their company and the lack of outside ownership, are not subject to such continuous outside discipline; they lack the same access to the means to create tangible outcomes within their organisations. The subject positions promoting shareholder value are focused on outcomes, whereas the non-listed company subject positions are focused on processes. Research limitations/implications – The subject positions of actors within different types of non-listed companies and listed companies without a shareholder focus form a target for future studies. Originality/value – The study contributes to the literatures on manager subject position formation and shareholder value. These contributions are achieved by uncovering a novel consequence of subject position formation and by revealing a mechanism by which outcome focus is tied with shareholder value.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 7 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=qram Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L¢pez de Foronda P‚rez, àscar & L¢pez-Iturriaga, F‚lix & Santamar¡a Mariscal, Marcos, 2007.
"Ownership structure, sharing of control and legal framework. International evidence,"
Working Papers "New Trends on Business Administration". Documentos de Trabajo "Nuevas Tendencias en Dirección de Empresas".
2007-01, Interuniversity Research Master and Doctorate Program (with a quality mention of ANECA) on "Business Economics", Universities of Valladolid, Burgos, Salamanca and León (Spain). Until 2008, Interuniversity Doctorate Program (with a quality mention of ANECA) “New trends in Business Administration”, Universities of Valladolid, Burgos, and Salamanca (Spain). Master en Investigación y Programa de Docto.
- Ãscar López-de-Foronda & Félix J. López-Iturriaga & Marcos Santamaría-Mariscal, 2007. "Ownership Structure, Sharing of Control and Legal Framework: international evidence," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1130-1143, November.
- Williams, David J., 1986. "Shareholder bonding in financial mutuals: An exploratory study of the relative effects of altruism and agency," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 271-286, May.
- Gendron, Yves & Bedard, Jean, 2006. "On the constitution of audit committee effectiveness," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 211-239, April.
- Hervé Stolowy & Yuan Ding & Jacques Richard, 2007.
"Towards an understanding of the phases of goodwill accounting in four Western capitalist countries: From stakeholder model to shareholder model,"
- Ding, Yuan & Richard, Jacques & Stolowy, Hervé, 2008. "Towards an understanding of the phases of goodwill accounting in four Western capitalist countries: From stakeholder model to shareholder model," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 718-755.
- Yuan Ding & Jacques Richard & Hervé Stolowy, 2008. "Towards an Understanding of the Phases of Goodwill Accounting in Four Western Capitalist Countries: From Stakeholder Model to Shareholder Model," Post-Print halshs-00366038, HAL.
- Ding, Yuan & Stolowy, Hervé & Richard, Jacques, 2007. "Towards an understanding of the phases of goodwill accounting in four Western capitalist countries: From stakeholder model to shareholder model," Les Cahiers de Recherche 872, HEC Paris.
- Bo Enquist & Mikael Johnson & Per Skålén, 2006. "Adoption of corporate social responsibility – incorporating a stakeholder perspective," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 188-207, September.
- Henry Hansmann & Reinier Kraakman, 2000. "The End Of History For Corporate Law," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm136, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2001.
- Brandes, Wolfgang & Weise, Peter, 1999. "Team Performance as a Constellation of Forces: A General Model," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 573-90.
- Manuel Núñez-Nickel & José Moyano-Fuentes, 2004. "Ownership Structure of Cooperatives as an Environmental Buffer," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(7), pages 1131-1152, November.
- Simmons, Richard & Birchall, Johnston, 2008. "The role of co-operatives in poverty reduction: Network perspectives," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 2131-2140, December.
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Lilley, Simon & Willmott, Hugh, 2004. "Accounting representation and the road to commercial salvation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 783-813, November.
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 1998.
"Are CEOs Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 653-691.
- Sven Modell & Christopher Humphrey, 2008. "Balancing acts in qualitative accounting research," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 92-100, July.
- Jane Baxter & Wai Fong Chua, 2008. "The field researcher as author-writer," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(2), pages 101-121, July.
- Duane Windsor, 2006. "Corporate Social Responsibility: Three Key Approaches," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 93-114, 01.
- Roberts, John & Sanderson, Paul & Barker, Richard & Hendry, John, 2006. "In the mirror of the market: The disciplinary effects of company/fund manager meetings," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 277-294, April.
- G. D. Ferrier & P. K. Porter, 1991. "The Productive Efficiency Of Us Milk Processing Co-Operatives," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 161-173.
- GRILO, Isabel & SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1997.
"Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997032, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grilo, Isabel & Shy, Oz & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2001. "Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 385-408, June.
- GRILO, Isabel & SHY, Oz & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Price competition when consumer behavior is characterized by conformity or vanity," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1518, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ezzamel, Mahmoud & Willmott, Hugh & Worthington, Frank, 2008. "Manufacturing shareholder value: The role of accounting in organizational transformation," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 107-140.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1389 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:qrampp:v:7:y:2010:i:4:p:450-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.