Reducing inpatriate managers' 'Liability of Foreignness' by addressing stigmatization and stereotype threats
The acceptance of 'others' in an organization can be a long and protracted process that can take years. Seldom is there a smooth assimilation into the corporate ranks for outsiders. Given the increasing number of inpatriate managers arriving in the domestic organizations of many global organizations, the issues impacting the acceptance of inpatriate managers by home-country managers will invariably increase. The purpose of this paper is to prescribe a program/process designed to suppress the stigmatization and stereotyping of inpatriate managers located in the home-country organization, as stereotype threats may impact not only the performance of the inpatriate managers but also the performance of an organization that is attempting to globalize its operations.
Volume (Year): 40 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William J Bigoness & Gerald L Blakely, 1996. "A Cross-National Study of Managerial Values," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 27(4), pages 739-748, December.
- Calhoun, Mikelle A., 2002. "Unpacking liability of foreignness: identifying culturally driven external and internal sources of liability for the foreign subsidiary," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 301-321.
- Sethi, Deepak & Guisinger, Stephen, 2002. "Liability of foreignness to competitive advantage: How multinational enterprises cope with the international business environment," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 223-240.
- Harvey, Michael G. & Buckley, M. Ronald, 1997. "Managing inpatriates: Building a global core competency," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-52, April.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2002. "Mitigating liabilities of foreignness: Defensive versus offensive approaches," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 283-300.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:40:y:2005:i:3:p:267-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.