Reducing inpatriate managers' 'Liability of Foreignness' by addressing stigmatization and stereotype threats
The acceptance of 'others' in an organization can be a long and protracted process that can take years. Seldom is there a smooth assimilation into the corporate ranks for outsiders. Given the increasing number of inpatriate managers arriving in the domestic organizations of many global organizations, the issues impacting the acceptance of inpatriate managers by home-country managers will invariably increase. The purpose of this paper is to prescribe a program/process designed to suppress the stigmatization and stereotyping of inpatriate managers located in the home-country organization, as stereotype threats may impact not only the performance of the inpatriate managers but also the performance of an organization that is attempting to globalize its operations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded & Nyaw, Mee-Kau, 2002. "Mitigating liabilities of foreignness: Defensive versus offensive approaches," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 283-300.
- Harvey, Michael G. & Buckley, M. Ronald, 1997. "Managing inpatriates: Building a global core competency," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-52, April.
- Sethi, Deepak & Guisinger, Stephen, 2002. "Liability of foreignness to competitive advantage: How multinational enterprises cope with the international business environment," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 223-240.
- Calhoun, Mikelle A., 2002. "Unpacking liability of foreignness: identifying culturally driven external and internal sources of liability for the foreign subsidiary," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 301-321.
- William J Bigoness & Gerald L Blakely, 1996. "A Cross-National Study of Managerial Values," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 739-748, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:40:y:2005:i:3:p:267-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.