Knowledge Management in Practice: Pitfalls and Potentials for Development
Summary Knowledge management is increasingly recognized as a relevant management approach within the development sector. However, few academic studies have analyzed the conceptual foundations of knowledge management practices in a development-specific context. As a result, the political dimensions of knowledge management are often overlooked. Through a literature review, illustrated with reference to examples from practice, this paper identifies a difference between latent goals and active knowledge management practices, which can lead to counterproductive development outcomes. The paper identifies the pitfalls and potentials associated with knowledge management in a development context and presents a conceptual framework that recognizes and builds on political dimensions of knowledge as discussed in participation and post-developmentalist debates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yee, Albert S., 1996. "The causal effects of ideas on policies," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(01), pages 69-108, December.
- Mark P. A. Thompson & Geoff Walsham, 2004. "Placing Knowledge Management in Context," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 725-747, 07.
- Joanne Roberts, 2006. "Limits to Communities of Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 623-639, 05.
- JosÈ Antonio Ocampo, 2002. "Rethinking the development agenda," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 393-407, May.
- Chambers, Robert, 1994. "The origins and practice of participatory rural appraisal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 953-969, July.
- Markus C. Becker, 2001. "Managing Dispersed Knowledge: Organizational Problems, Managerial Strategies, and Their Effectiveness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7), pages 1037-1051, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 2002. "Participation and Development: Perspectives from the Comprehensive Development Paradigm," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 163-82, June.
- Benedetta Rossi, 2004. "Revisiting Foucauldian Approaches: Power Dynamics in Development Projects," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 1-29.
- Anthony Bebbington & Scott Guggenheim & Elizabeth Olson & Michael Woolcock, 2004. "Exploring Social Capital Debates at the World Bank," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 33-64.
- Amin, Ash & Roberts, Joanne, 2008. "Knowing in action: Beyond communities of practice," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 353-369, March.
- Torsten Ringberg & Markus Reihlen, 2008. "Towards a Socio-Cognitive Approach to Knowledge Transfer," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(5), pages 912-935, 07.
- Figueiredo, Paulo N., 2008. "Industrial Policy Changes and Firm-Level Technological Capability Development: Evidence from Northern Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 55-88, January.
- Roberts, Susan M. & Jones III, John Paul & Frohling, Oliver, 2005. "NGOs and the globalization of managerialism: A research framework," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1845-1864, November.
- Walsham, Geoff, 2001. "Knowledge Management:: The Benefits and Limitations of Computer Systems," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 599-608, December.
- Ebrahim, Alnoor, 2003. "Accountability In Practice: Mechanisms for NGOs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 813-829, May.
- Haridimos Tsoukas, 2001. "What is Organizational Knowledge?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7), pages 973-993, November.
- Silvia Gherardi, 2002. "Learning In A Constellation of Interconnected Practices: Canon or Dissonance?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 419-436, 06.
- Cynthia Hardy & Nelson Phillips & Thomas B. Lawrence, 2003. "Resources, Knowledge and Influence: The Organizational Effects of Interorganizational Collaboration," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 321-347, 03.
- Hofstede, Geert, 1981. "Management control of public and not-for-profit activities," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 193-211, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:38:y:2010:i:12:p:1797-1810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.