Knowledge Management in Practice: Pitfalls and Potentials for Development
Summary Knowledge management is increasingly recognized as a relevant management approach within the development sector. However, few academic studies have analyzed the conceptual foundations of knowledge management practices in a development-specific context. As a result, the political dimensions of knowledge management are often overlooked. Through a literature review, illustrated with reference to examples from practice, this paper identifies a difference between latent goals and active knowledge management practices, which can lead to counterproductive development outcomes. The paper identifies the pitfalls and potentials associated with knowledge management in a development context and presents a conceptual framework that recognizes and builds on political dimensions of knowledge as discussed in participation and post-developmentalist debates.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torsten Ringberg & Markus Reihlen, 2008. "Towards a Socio-Cognitive Approach to Knowledge Transfer," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(5), pages 912-935, 07.
- Mark P. A. Thompson & Geoff Walsham, 2004. "Placing Knowledge Management in Context," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(5), pages 725-747, 07.
- Hofstede, Geert, 1981. "Management control of public and not-for-profit activities," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 193-211, July.
- Walsham, Geoff, 2001. "Knowledge Management:: The Benefits and Limitations of Computer Systems," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 599-608, December.
- JosÈ Antonio Ocampo, 2002. "Rethinking the development agenda," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(3), pages 393-407, May.
- Anthony Bebbington & Scott Guggenheim & Elizabeth Olson & Michael Woolcock, 2004. "Exploring Social Capital Debates at the World Bank," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(5), pages 33-64.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 2002. "Participation and Development: Perspectives from the Comprehensive Development Paradigm," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 163-82, June.
- Silvia Gherardi, 2002. "Learning In A Constellation of Interconnected Practices: Canon or Dissonance?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 419-436, 06.
- Joanne Roberts, 2006. "Limits to Communities of Practice," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 623-639, 05.
- Ebrahim, Alnoor, 2003. "Accountability In Practice: Mechanisms for NGOs," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 813-829, May.
- Haridimos Tsoukas, 2001. "What is Organizational Knowledge?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7), pages 973-993, November.
- Markus C. Becker, 2001. "Managing Dispersed Knowledge: Organizational Problems, Managerial Strategies, and Their Effectiveness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7), pages 1037-1051, November.
- Yee, Albert S., 1996. "The causal effects of ideas on policies," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(01), pages 69-108, December.
- Cynthia Hardy & Nelson Phillips & Thomas B. Lawrence, 2003. "Resources, Knowledge and Influence: The Organizational Effects of Interorganizational Collaboration," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 321-347, 03.
- Roberts, Susan M. & Jones III, John Paul & Frohling, Oliver, 2005. "NGOs and the globalization of managerialism: A research framework," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1845-1864, November.
- Benedetta Rossi, 2004. "Revisiting Foucauldian Approaches: Power Dynamics in Development Projects," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(6), pages 1-29.
- Chambers, Robert, 1994. "The origins and practice of participatory rural appraisal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 953-969, July.
- Figueiredo, Paulo N., 2008. "Industrial Policy Changes and Firm-Level Technological Capability Development: Evidence from Northern Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 55-88, January.
- Amin, Ash & Roberts, Joanne, 2008. "Knowing in action: Beyond communities of practice," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 353-369, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:38:y:2010:i:12:p:1797-1810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.