A competitive, charter air-service planning model for student athlete travel
This paper presents a model for planning an air charter service for pre-scheduled group travel. This model is used to investigate the competitiveness of such an enterprise for student athlete travel in conference sports. The relevant demand subset to be served by a limited charter fleet is identified through a comparison with existing scheduled travel options. Further, the routing and scheduling of the charter aircraft is performed within the same framework. Through this modeling a method for formulating and accommodating continuous time windows and competitive market dynamics in strategic planning for a charter service is developed. Computational improvements to the basic model are also presented and tested. The model is applied to the Big Sky Conference for the 2006-2007 season, quantifying the benefits to the students from such a service and the change in expenditure associated with such a benefit for various assumptions about operations and value of time. The findings indicate the lack of spatial or sport based patterns for maximizing benefit, indicating the absence of simplistic "rules of thumb" for operating such a service, and validating the need for the model.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitrovic-Minic, Snezana & Laporte, Gilbert, 2004. "Waiting strategies for the dynamic pickup and delivery problem with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 635-655, August.
- Schipper, Youdi & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2007. "Deregulation and welfare in airline markets: An analysis of frequency equilibria," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 194-206, April.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2000. "Airport and Airline Competition for Passengers Departing from a Large Metropolitan Area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 29-45, July.
- Borenstein, Severin & Netz, Janet, 1999. "Why do all the flights leave at 8 am?: Competition and departure-time differentiation in airline markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 611-640, July.
- Nanry, William P. & Wesley Barnes, J., 2000. "Solving the pickup and delivery problem with time windows using reactive tabu search," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 107-121, February.
- Wei, Wenbin & Hansen, Mark, 2007. "Airlines' competition in aircraft size and service frequency in duopoly markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 409-424, July.
- Hansen, Mark, 1990. "Airline competition in a hub-dominated environment: An application of noncooperative game theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 27-43, February.
- Gillen, David & Morrison, William G., 2005. "Regulation, competition and network evolution in aviation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 161-174.
- Adler, Nicole, 2001. "Competition in a deregulated air transportation market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 337-345, March.
- Neil Bania & Paul W. Bauer & Thomas J. Zlatoper, 1992.
"U.S. air passenger service: a taxonomy of route networks, hub locations, and competition,"
9216, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bania, Neil & Bauer, Paul W. & Zlatoper, Thomas J., 1998. "U.S. Air Passenger Service: a Taxonomy of Route Networks, Hub Locations, and Competition," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 53-74, March.
- Mitrovic-Minic, Snezana & Krishnamurti, Ramesh & Laporte, Gilbert, 2004. "Double-horizon based heuristics for the dynamic pickup and delivery problem with time windows," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 669-685, September.
- Fabri, A. & Recht, P., 2006. "On dynamic pickup and delivery vehicle routing with several time windows and waiting times," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 335-350, May.
- Leonardo J. Basso & Sergio R. Jara-Díaz, 2005. "Calculation of Economies of Spatial Scope from Transport Cost Functions with Aggregate Output with an Application to the Airline Industry," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 39(1), pages 25-52, January.
- Wang, Xiubin & Regan, Amelia C., 2002. "Local truckload pickup and delivery with hard time window constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 97-112, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:1:p:128-149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.