Estimating the costs of political populism: Traffic violation pardons in Korea
Since 1995, four presidents have granted six traffic violation pardons in Korea, and 24.6 million individuals have been the beneficiaries of these pardons. The objective of this paper is to explore how costly traffic violation pardons are by finding out the effects of traffic violation pardons on traffic accidents, and then estimating the economic costs caused by traffic violation pardons. Traffic violation pardons have the effect of raising traffic accidents by 4.3% and 3.6% per year and the economic costs of traffic accidents by 4.2% and 3.5% per year for two consecutive years after the pardons are granted.
Volume (Year): 46 (2012)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/547/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dickerson, Andrew & Peirson, John & Vickerman, Roger, 2000.
"Road Accidents and Traffic Flows: An Econometric Investigation,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 67(265), pages 101-21, February.
- Andrew Dickerson & John Peirson & Roger Vickerman, 1998. "Road Accidents and Traffic Flows: An Econometric Investigation," Studies in Economics 9809, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- David C. Grabowski & Michael A. Morrisey, 2004. "Gasoline prices and motor vehicle fatalities," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(3), pages 575-593.
- Grabowski, David C. & Morrisey, Michael A., 2006. "Do higher gasoline taxes save lives?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 51-55, January.
- Garcia-Ferrer, Antonio & del Hoyo, Juan, 1987. "Analysis of the Car Accident Indexes in Spain: A Multiple Time Series Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 27-38, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transa:v:46:y:2012:i:9:p:1449-1457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.