Are urban children really healthier? Evidence from 47 developing countries
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Wagstaff, Adam & Paci, Pierella & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1991. "On the measurement of inequalities in health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, pages 545-557.
- David E. Sahn & David C. Stifel, 2003.
"Urban--Rural Inequality in Living Standards in Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(4), pages 564-597, December.
- Sahn, David E. & Stifel, David C., 2004. "Urban-Rural Inequality in Living Standards in Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series 004, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kenneth Harttgen & Mark Misselhorn, 2006.
"A Multilevel Approach to Explain Child Mortality and Undernutrition in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
152, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Misselhorn, Mark & Harttgen, Kenneth, 2006. "A Multilevel Approach to Explain Child Mortality and Undernutrition in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 20, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1993:83:8:1130-1133_0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L. & Morris, Saul Sutkover & Maxwell, Daniel G. & Oshaug, Arne & Engle, Patrice L. & Menon, Purnima & Slack, Alison T. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 1998. "Urban challenges to food and nutrition security," FCND discussion papers 51, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Deon Filmer & Lant Pritchett, 2001. "Estimating Wealth Effects Without Expenditure Data—Or Tears: An Application To Educational Enrollments In States Of India," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(1), pages 115-132, February.
- Fay, Marianne & Leipziger, Danny & Wodon, Quentin & Yepes, Tito, 2005. "Achieving child-health-related Millennium Development Goals: The role of infrastructure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1267-1284, August.
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Are urban poverty and undernutrition growing?," FCND discussion papers 63, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Wang, Limin, 2003. "Determinants of child mortality in LDCs: Empirical findings from demographic and health surveys," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 277-299, September.
- Adam Wagstaff, 2005. "The bounds of the concentration index when the variable of interest is binary, with an application to immunization inequality," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 429-432.
- Ruel, Marie T. & Haddad, Lawrence & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Some Urban Facts of Life: Implications for Research and Policy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1917-1938, November.
- Brockerhoff, Martin, 1995. "Child survival in big cities: The disadvantages of migrants," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, pages 1371-1383.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Are Urban Poverty and Undernutrition Growing? Some Newly Assembled Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1891-1904, November.
- Tim Dyson, 2003. "HIV/AIDS and Urbanization," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 29(3), pages 427-442.
- Sastry, Narayan, 1997. "What explains rural-urban differentials in child mortality in Brazil?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, pages 989-1002.
- Smith, Lisa C. & Ruel, Marie T. & Ndiaye, Aida, 2005. "Why Is Child Malnutrition Lower in Urban Than in Rural Areas? Evidence from 36 Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1285-1305, August.
- Erreygers, Guido, 2009. "Correcting the Concentration Index," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 504-515, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurice Mutisya & Moses W. Ngware & Caroline W. Kabiru & Ngianga-bakwin Kandala, 2016. "The effect of education on household food security in two informal urban settlements in Kenya: a longitudinal analysis," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 8(4), pages 743-756, August.
- Liu, Hong & Fang, Hai & Zhao, Zhong, 2013.
"Urban–rural disparities of child health and nutritional status in China from 1989 to 2006,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, pages 294-309.
- Liu, Hong & Fang, Hai & Zhao, Zhong, 2012. "Urban-Rural Disparities of Child Health and Nutritional Status in China from 1989 to 2006," IZA Discussion Papers 6528, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ellen Poel & Owen O'donnell & Eddy Doorslaer, 2009.
"What explains the rural-urban gap in infant mortality: Household or community characteristics?,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 46(4), pages 827-850, November.
- Ellen van de Poel & Owen O'Donnell & Eddy Van Doorslaer, 2007. "What explains the Rural-Urban Gap in Infant Mortality — Household or Community Characteristics?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-067/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Masseria, Cristina, 2013. "Measuring Income-Related Inequalities in Health in Multi-Country Analysis/Midiendo las desigualdades en salud relacionadas con la renta entre países," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 455-476, Septiembr.
- Costa-Font, Joan & Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jiménez-Rubio, Dolores, 2014. "Income inequalities in unhealthy life styles in England and Spain," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 66-75.
- Mesbah Fathy Sharaf & Ahmed Shoukry Rashad, 2016.
"Regional inequalities in child malnutrition in Egypt, Jordan, and Yemen: a Blinder-Oaxaca decomposition analysis,"
Health Economics Review,
Springer, pages 1-11.
- Rashad, Ahmed & Sharaf, Mesbah, 2016. "Regional Inequalities in Child Malnutrition in Egypt, Jordan, and Yemen: A Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers 2016-3, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Mesbah Sharaf & Ahmed Rashad, 2017. "Regional Inequalities in Child Malnutrition in Egypt, Jordan and Yemen: A Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers 1164, Economic Research Forum, revised 12 2017.
- Mesbah Sharaf & Ahmed Rashad, 2017. "Regional Inequalities in Child Malnutrition in Egypt, Jordan, and Yemen: A Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers 1144, Economic Research Forum, revised 10 Dec 2017.
- E. Van de Poel & O. O'Donnell & E. Van Doorslaer, 2009. "The Health Penalty of China's Rapid Urbanization," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-016/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SHOKKAERT, Erik, "undated". "Equity in health and health care," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2373, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Faqin Lin & Nicholas C.S. Sim & Ngoc Pham, 2015. "Child Mortality in the LDCs: The Role of Trade, Institutions and Environmental Quality," School of Economics Working Papers 2015-15, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Philippe Bocquier & Nyovani Madise & Eliya Zulu, 2011. "Is There an Urban Advantage in Child Survival in Sub-Saharan Africa? Evidence From 18 Countries in the 1990s," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(2), pages 531-558, May.
- Payal Hathi & Sabrina Haque & Lovey Pant & Diane Coffey & Dean Spears, 2017.
"Place and Child Health: The Interaction of Population Density and Sanitation in Developing Countries,"
Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 54(1), pages 337-360, February.
- Hathi, Payal & Haque, Sabrina & Pant, Lovey & Coffey, Diane & Spears, Dean, 2014. "Place and child health : the interaction of population density and sanitation in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7124, The World Bank.
- ERREYGERS, Guido & CLARKE, Philip & VAN OURTI, Tom, 2010. "Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who in this land is fairest of all? Revisiting the extended concentration index," Working Papers 2010015, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Fernald, Lia C.H. & Hidrobo, Melissa, 2011. "Effect of Ecuador's cash transfer program (Bono de Desarrollo Humano) on child development in infants and toddlers: A randomized effectiveness trial," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(9), pages 1437-1446, May.
- Erreygers, Guido & Clarke, Philip & Van Ourti, Tom, 2012. "“Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who in this land is fairest of all?”—Distributional sensitivity in the measurement of socioeconomic inequality of health," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 257-270.
- repec:eee:cysrev:v:80:y:2017:i:c:p:41-51 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laura B. Nolan, 2016. "Rural–Urban Child Height for Age Trajectories and Their Heterogeneous Determinants in Four Developing Countries," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 35(5), pages 599-629, October.
- Lara Cockx & Liesbeth Colen & Joachim De Weerdt, 2017. "From Corn to Popcorn? Urbanization and Food Consumption in sub-Sahara Africa: Evidence From Rural-Urban Migrants in Tanzania," LICOS Discussion Papers 39017, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- D. Omariba & Michael Boyle, 2010. "Rural–Urban Migration and Cross-National Variation in Infant Mortality in Less Developed Countries," Population Research and Policy Review, Springer;Southern Demographic Association (SDA), vol. 29(3), pages 275-296, June.
- -, 2008. "Millennium development goals: progress towards the right to health in Latin america and the Caribbean," Libros y Documentos Institucionales, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), number 2919 edited by Eclac.
- Emily Smith-Greenaway & Jenny Trinitapoli, 2014. "Polygynous Contexts, Family Structure, and Infant Mortality in Sub-Saharan Africa," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(2), pages 341-366, April.
- Paraje, Guillermo, 2009. "Child stunting and and socio-economic inequality in Latin America and the Caribbean," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), December.
- Marta Jankowska & Magdalena Benza & John R. Weeks, 2013. "Estimating spatial inequalities of urban child mortality," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 28(2), pages 33-62, January.
- Günther Fink & Isabel Günther & Kenneth Hill, 2014. "Slum Residence and Child Health in Developing Countries," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 51(4), pages 1175-1197, August.
- Jones-Smith, Jessica C. & Popkin, Barry M., 2010. "Understanding community context and adult health changes in China: Development of an urbanicity scale," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(8), pages 1436-1446, October.
More about this item
KeywordsChild health Urban-rural disparity Developing countries Socioeconomic inequality Urban poor;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:65:y:2007:i:10:p:1986-2003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .