Are urban poverty and undernutrition growing?
The population of the developing world is becoming more urban. Are poverty and undernutrition beginning to relocate to urban areas as well? We use survey data on poverty (from 8 countries) and on child undernutrition (from 14 countries) to address this question. Using data from the past 15-20 years, we find that in a majority of countries the absolute number of poor and undernourished individuals living in urban areas has increased, as has the share of poverty and undernourishment coming from urban areas. Given these trends and the current stock of knowledge as to the levels, determinants, and solutions to urban poverty and undernutrition, we argue for more research on these issues.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 1998.
"Farm productivity and rural poverty in India,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 62-85.
- Kelly, Valerie & Reardon, Thomas A. & Diagana, Bocar & Fall, Amadou Abdoulaye, 1994.
"Impacts of Devaluation on Senegalese Households: Policy Implications,"
201185, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Kelly, Valerie & Reardon, Thomas & Diagana, Bocar & Abdoulaye Fall, Amadou, 1995. "Impacts of devaluation on Senegalese households: policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 299-313, August.
- Naylor, Rosamond L. & Falcon, Walter P., 1995. "Is the locus of poverty changing?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 501-518, December.
- Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L. & Morris, Saul Sutkover & Maxwell, Daniel G. & Oshaug, Arne & Engle, Patrice L. & Menon, Purnima & Slack, Alison T. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 1998. "Urban challenges to food and nutrition security," FCND discussion papers 51, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Maxwell, Daniel G., 1998. "The political economy of urban food security in Sub-Saharan Africa," FCND discussion papers 41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Datt, Gaurav, 1998. "Poverty in India and Indian states," FCND discussion papers 47, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:fcnddp:63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.