Improving access to health facilities in Nouna district, Burkina Faso
The Nouna health district in Burkina Faso, has a population of approximately 275,000 people living in 281 villages, and is served by 25 health facilities, as of 2006. For many people, the time and effort required in traveling to a health facility, which may demand a journey of many kilometers over poor roads on foot, is a deterrent to seeking proper medical care. In this study we examine how access to health facilities in Nouna may be improved by considering the configuration of the road network in addition to the locations of the facilities. We model the situation as a facility location–network design problem and draw conclusions about how best to improve the physical access of the health facilities. Our model shows the extent to which access can be improved when the road network is considered along with facility locations, in contrast to facility locations considered alone.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerard Rushton, 1984. "Use of Location-Allocation Models for Improving the Geographical Accessibility of Rural Services in Developing Countries," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 9(3), pages 217-240, December.
- Current, John & Pirkul, Hasan, 1991. "Theory and methodologyThe hierarchical network design problem with transshipment facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 338-347, April.
- Kumar, Naresh, 2004. "Changing geographic access to and locational efficiency of health services in two Indian districts between 1981 and 1996," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 2045-2067, May.
- Melkote, Sanjay & Daskin, Mark S., 2001. "An integrated model of facility location and transportation network design," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 515-538, July.
- R. Ravi & Amitabh Sinha, 2006. "Approximation Algorithms for Problems Combining Facility Location and Network Design," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 54(1), pages 73-81, February.
- Oppong, Joseph R., 1996. "Accommodating the rainy season in Third World location-allocation applications," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 121-137, June.
- Drezner, Zvi & Wesolowsky, George O., 2003. "Network design: selection and design of links and facility location," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 241-256, March.
- Melkote, Sanjay & Daskin, Mark S., 2001. "Capacitated facility location/network design problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(3), pages 481-495, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:46:y:2012:i:2:p:164-172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.