Minimizing the maximum travel time in a combined model of facility location and network design
This paper presents a combined Facility Location/Network Design Problem which simultaneously considers the location of facilities and the design of its underlying network so as to minimize the maximum customer-facility travel time. The model generalizes the classical p-center problem and has various applications in regional planning, distribution, telecommunications, emergency systems, and other areas. Two mixed integer programming formulations are presented and compared. Several valid inequalities are derived for the most promising of these formulations to strengthen its LP relaxation bound and to reduce the enumeration tree. Numerical results of a series of computational experiments for instances with up to 100 nodes and 500 candidate links are reported.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfred A. Kuehn & Michael J. Hamburger, 1963. "A Heuristic Program for Locating Warehouses," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(4), pages 643-666, July.
- Syam, Siddhartha S. & Côté, Murray J., 2010. "A location-allocation model for service providers with application to not-for-profit health care organizations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 157-166, June.
- Murawski, Lisa & Church, Richard L., 2009. "Improving accessibility to rural health services: The maximal covering network improvement problem," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 102-110, June.
- Melo, M.T. & Nickel, S. & Saldanha-da-Gama, F., 2009. "Facility location and supply chain management - A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(2), pages 401-412, July.
- Melkote, Sanjay & Daskin, Mark S., 2001. "An integrated model of facility location and transportation network design," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 515-538, July.
- ReVelle, C. S. & Eiselt, H. A., 2005. "Location analysis: A synthesis and survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 1-19, August.
- Alumur, Sibel & Kara, Bahar Y., 2008. "Network hub location problems: The state of the art," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 1-21, October.
- Drezner, Zvi & Wesolowsky, George O., 2003. "Network design: selection and design of links and facility location," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 241-256, March.
- Li, Xiangyong & Aneja, Y.P. & Huo, Jiazhen, 2012. "Using branch-and-price approach to solve the directed network design problem with relays," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 672-679.
- ReVelle, C.S. & Eiselt, H.A. & Daskin, M.S., 2008. "A bibliography for some fundamental problem categories in discrete location science," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 817-848, February.
- Klose, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 2005. "Facility location models for distribution system design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 4-29, April.
- Jean-François Cordeau & Federico Pasin & Marius Solomon, 2006. "An integrated model for logistics network design," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 144(1), pages 59-82, April.
- Costa, Alysson M. & França, Paulo M. & Lyra Filho, Christiano, 2011. "Two-level network design with intermediate facilities: An application to electrical distribution systems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Melkote, Sanjay & Daskin, Mark S., 2001. "Capacitated facility location/network design problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(3), pages 481-495, March.
- Srivastava, Samir K., 2008. "Network design for reverse logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 535-548, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:847-860. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.