Network design for reverse logistics
Collection and recycling of product returns is gaining interest in business and research worldwide. Growing green concerns and advancement of green supply chain management (GrSCM) concepts and practices make it all the more relevant. Inputs from literature and informal interviews with 84 stakeholders are used to develop a conceptual model for simultaneous location-allocation of facilities for a cost effective and efficient reverse logistics (RL) network. We cover costs and operations across a wide domain and our proposed RL network consists of collection centers and two types of rework facilities set up by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) or their consortia for a few categories of product returns under various strategic, operational and customer service constraints in the Indian context. In this paper, we provide an integrated holistic conceptual framework that combines descriptive modeling with optimization techniques at the methodological level. We also provide detailed solutions for network configuration and design at the topological level, by carrying out experimentation with our conceptual model. Our findings provide useful insights to various stakeholders and suggest avenues for further research.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & van Beek, Paul & Hordijk, Leen & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1995. "Interactions between operational research and environmental management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 229-243, September.
- Amini, M. Mehdi & Retzlaff-Roberts, Donna & Bienstock, Carol C., 2005. "Designing a reverse logistics operation for short cycle time repair services," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 367-380, June.
- de Brito, M.P. & Dekker, R., 2001.
"Modelling product returns in inventory control - exploring the validity or general assumptions,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2001-27, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- de Brito, Marisa P. & Dekker, Rommert, 2003. "Modelling product returns in inventory control--exploring the validity of general assumptions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 225-241, January.
- Hu, Tung-Lai & Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Huang, Kuan-Hsiung, 2002. "A reverse logistics cost minimization model for the treatment of hazardous wastes," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 457-473, November.
- Mitra, Subrata, 2007. "Revenue management for remanufactured products," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 553-562, October.
- Fleischmann, Moritz & Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & Dekker, Rommert & van der Laan, Erwin & van Nunen, Jo A. E. E. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1997. "Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 1-17, November.
- R. Canan Savaskan & Shantanu Bhattacharya & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2004. "Closed-Loop Supply Chain Models with Product Remanufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(2), pages 239-252, February.
- Jayaraman, Vaidyanathan & Patterson, Raymond A. & Rolland, Erik, 2003. "The design of reverse distribution networks: Models and solution procedures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 128-149, October.
- Min, Hokey & Jeung Ko, Hyun & Seong Ko, Chang, 2006. "A genetic algorithm approach to developing the multi-echelon reverse logistics network for product returns," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 56-69, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:36:y:2008:i:4:p:535-548. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.