Deepwater energy industry impacts on economic growth and public service provision in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana
Oil and gas produced from active deepwater leases (over 1000 feet water depth) in the Gulf of Mexico as a percentage of total output increased from 27% in 1992 to 54% in 2005. This increase is requiring more land-based services. Port Fourchon's strategic location provides it with a competitive advantage as a supply base for a diverse set of deepwater oil and gas related activities, ranging from petroleum rig supply boats to the maintenance and repair of mobile drilling rigs. Further development of Port Fourchon as a supply base is expected to markedly impact Lafourche Parish. Community impact models (CIM) quantify the linkages among local economic activity and the demand for, and ability to support, local government services. A CIM developed for Louisiana, including an input-output module of the local economy, is used to evaluate the impact of the deepwater energy industry on the economy and government finances of Lafourche Parish. According to model results, the deepwater energy industry will continue to have a significant impact on that economy. By 2010, the industry was predicted to be directly and indirectly responsible for 2593 new jobs and $571 million in total output. Such activity should not strain the ability of local governments to deliver services.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greenberg, Michael & Isserman, Andrew & Frisch, Michael & Krueckeberg, Donald & Lowrie, Karen & Mayer, Henry & Simon, Darien & Sorenson, David, 1999. "Questioning conventional wisdom: the regional economic impacts of Major US nuclear weapons sites, 1970-1994," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 183-204, September.
- Shields, Martin & Deller, Steven C. & Stallmann, Judith I., 2001. "Comparing The Impacts Of Retiree Versus Working-Age Families On A Small Rural Region: An Application Of The Wisconsin Economic Impact Modeling System," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Shields, Martin & Deller, Steven C. & Stallmann, Judith I., 2001. "Comparing the Impacts of Retiree versus Working-Age Families on a Small Rural Region: An Application of the Wisconsin Economic Impact Modeling System," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 20-31, April.
- Sergio J. Rey, 2000. "articles: Integrated regional econometric+input-output modeling: Issues and opportunities," Papers in Regional Science, Springer;Regional Science Association International, vol. 79(3), pages 271-292.
- R J DiFrancesco & W P Anderson, 1999. "Developing Canada's Arctic Oil Reserves: An Assessment of the Interregional Economic Impacts," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 31(3), pages 459-476, March.
- B H Stevens & G I Treyz & J K Kindahl, 1981. "Conjoining an Input-Output Model and a Policy Analysis Model: A Case Study of the Regional Economic Effects of Expanding a Port Facility," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 13(8), pages 1029-1038, August.
- B H Stevens & G I Treyz & J K Kindahl, 1981. "Conjoining an input - output model and a policy analysis model: a case study of the regional economic effects of expanding a port facility," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(8), pages 1029-1038, August.
- Leistritz, F. Larry & Murdock, Steven H. & Toman, Norman E. & Hertsgaard, Thor A., 1979. "A Model For Projecting Localized Economic, Demographic, And Fiscal Impacts Of Large-Scale Projects," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 4(02), December.
- Schaffer, William A., 1989. "General considerations in building regional input--output tables," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 251-259.
- R J DiFrancesco & W P Anderson, 1999. "Developing Canada's arctic oil reserves: an assessment of the interregional economic impacts," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(3), pages 459-476, March.
- Chou, Pin-Huang & Li, Wen-Shen & Zhou, Guofu, 2006. "Portfolio optimization under asset pricing anomalies," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-142, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:42:y:2008:i:3:p:190-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.