Using 'Inclusive Wealth' to Measure and Model Sustainable Development in Australia: A working example
Australia in 1992 adopted the National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development to ensure all future development occurs in a 'sustainable' manner. Measurement of the nation's sustainable development is currently conducted through the OECD Environmental Performance Review and various other ad-hoc indicators or measures have been proposed, such as greening the national accounts (Green Gross National Product) and the Genuine Progress Indicator. No one has identified a clear and precise way to either measure or model sustainable development in Australia. By trialing the implementation of inclusive wealth theory in Australia, this paper aims to identify and comment on the issues of measuring and modelling sustainable development as a stock measure in Australia (measuring the change in composition of national assets over time). Conceptual issues of implementation will be discussed with examples provided from two trial regions Goulburn Broken Catchment (VIC) and Murrumbidgee Valley (NSW).
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200|
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, Kirk & Clemens, Michael, 1999. "Genuine Savings Rates in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 333-56, May.
- Common, Mick & Sanyal, Kali, 1998. "Measuring the depreciation of Australia's non-renewable resources: a cautionary tale," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 23-30, July.
- Ekins, Paul & Simon, Sandrine & Deutsch, Lisa & Folke, Carl & De Groot, Rudolf, 2003. "A framework for the practical application of the concepts of critical natural capital and strong sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2-3), pages 165-185, March.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003.
"Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(4), pages 647-685, December.
- Kenneth Arrow & Partha Dasgupta & Karl-Göran Mäler, 2003. "Evaluating Projects and Assessing Sustainable Development in Imperfect Economies," Working Papers 2003.109, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Pearce, David & Hamilton, Kirk & Atkinson, Giles, 1996. "Measuring sustainable development: progress on indicators," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 85-101, February.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1999.
"Pricing the Limits to Growth from Minerals Depletion,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(2), pages 691-706.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1999. "Pricing the Limits to Growth from Minerals Depletion," Scholarly Articles 3708467, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1997. " Sustainability and Technical Progress," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 1-13, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare04:58457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.