Firm-level analysis of the international diversification of small integrated stock markets: Ireland 1999-2007
Domestic market indices may not be domestic in the pure sense of the word if they contain a large number of multinational corporations (MNCs). This is particularly relevant in a small open economy like Ireland. This paper shows that Ireland's strong position in attracting FDI has resulted in the domestic market index (the ISEQ index) becoming a marginal measure of the Irish corporate sector. Further results show that Ireland is gaining international exposure through foreign MNCs but this foreign exposure is not directly related to the regions where these firms do business.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hughes, John S. & Logue, Dennis E. & Sweeney, Richard James, 1975. "Corporate International Diversification and Market Assigned Measures of Risk and Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 627-637, November.
- Fang Cai & Francis E. Warnock, 2004.
"International diversification at home and abroad,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
793, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fang Cai & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "International Diversification at Home and Abroad," NBER Working Papers 12220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cai, Fang & Warnock, Francis E., 2005. "International diversification at home and abroad," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Cai, Fang & Warnock, Francis E., 2005. "International Diversification at Home and Abroad," Kiel Working Papers 1246, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Solnik, B H, 1974. "The International Pricing of Risk: An Empirical Investigation of the World Capital Market Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 365-378, May.
- Kearney, Colm, 1998. "The Causes of Volatility in a Small, Internationally Integrated Stock Market: Ireland, July 1975-June 1994," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 85-104, Spring.
- F Barry & C Kearney, 2006. "MNEs and industrial structure in host countries: a portfolio analysis of Irish manufacturing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(3), pages 392-406, May.
- Agmon, Tamir & Lessard, Donald R, 1977. "Investor Recognition of Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1049-1055, September.
- Lessard, Donald R, 1974. "World, National, and Industry Factors in Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 379-391, May.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An International Market Model of Security Price Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 537-554, September.
- Kearney, Colm, 2000. "The determination and international transmission of stock market volatility," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 31-52.
- Kalok Chan & Allaudeen Hameed & Sie Ting Lau, 2003. "What if Trading Location Is Different from Business Location? Evidence from the Jardine Group," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1221-1246, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:24:y:2010:i:2:p:172-189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.