Firm-level analysis of the international diversification of small integrated stock markets: Ireland 1999-2007
Domestic market indices may not be domestic in the pure sense of the word if they contain a large number of multinational corporations (MNCs). This is particularly relevant in a small open economy like Ireland. This paper shows that Ireland's strong position in attracting FDI has resulted in the domestic market index (the ISEQ index) becoming a marginal measure of the Irish corporate sector. Further results show that Ireland is gaining international exposure through foreign MNCs but this foreign exposure is not directly related to the regions where these firms do business.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kearney, Colm, 1998. "The Causes of Volatility in a Small, Internationally Integrated Stock Market: Ireland, July 1975-June 1994," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 85-104, Spring.
- Hughes, John S. & Logue, Dennis E. & Sweeney, Richard James, 1975. "Corporate International Diversification and Market Assigned Measures of Risk and Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 627-637, November.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An International Market Model of Security Price Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 537-554, September.
- F Barry & C Kearney, 2006. "MNEs and industrial structure in host countries: a portfolio analysis of Irish manufacturing," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 392-406, May.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Kearney, Colm, 2000. "The determination and international transmission of stock market volatility," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 31-52.
- Agmon, Tamir & Lessard, Donald R, 1977. "Investor Recognition of Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1049-55, September.
- Kalok Chan & Allaudeen Hameed & Sie Ting Lau, 2003. "What if Trading Location Is Different from Business Location? Evidence from the Jardine Group," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1221-1246, 06.
- Solnik, B H, 1974. "The International Pricing of Risk: An Empirical Investigation of the World Capital Market Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 365-78, May.
- Fang Cai & Francis E. Warnock, 2004. "International diversification at home and abroad," International Finance Discussion Papers 793, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lessard, Donald R, 1974. "World, National, and Industry Factors in Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 379-91, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:24:y:2010:i:2:p:172-189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.