Innovation capacities in advanced economies: Relative performance of small open economies
This paper offers an empirical examination of the determinants of a nation's ability to produce commercially viable innovations, measured as Patents Granted across a sample of 23 advanced economies. The approach employed is based on estimating National Innovative Capacity that focuses on the long-run ability of economies to produce and/or commercialise innovative technologies, in the spirit of Furman et al. (2002). The time period of our analysis covers 1993 to 2005 and employs panel estimation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel S. Kortum & Jonathan Eaton, 1995.
"Trade in ideas: patenting and productivity in the OECD,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
95-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel, 1996. "Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 251-278, May.
- Eaton, J. & Kortum, S., 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity onn the OECD," Papers 34, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 1995. "Trade in Ideas: Patenting and Productivity in the OECD," NBER Working Papers 5049, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Elie Appelbaum & Ulrich R. Kohli, 1979. "Canada-United States Trade: Tests for the Small-Open-Economy Hypothesis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vecchi, Alessandra & Brennan, Louis, 2009. "A cultural perspective on innovation in international manufacturing," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 181-192, June.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "Time Series Tests of Endogenous Growth Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 495-525, May.
- Eleanor Doyle & Inmaculada Martinez-Zarzoso, 2011. "Productivity, Trade, and Institutional Quality: A Panel Analysis," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 726-752, January.
- Dan Marsh, 2000. "Fostering Innovation in a Small Open Economy: The Case of the New Zealand Biotechnology Sector," Working Papers in Economics 00/01, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Kortum, Samuel & Lerner, Josh, 1999. "What is behind the recent surge in patenting?1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-22, January.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Backus, David K. & Kehoe, Patrick J. & Kehoe, Timothy J., 1992.
"In search of scale effects in trade and growth,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 377-409, December.
- Berrill, Jenny, 2010. "Firm-level analysis of the international diversification of small integrated stock markets: Ireland 1999-2007," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 172-189, June.
- Keupp, Marcus M. & Gassmann, Oliver, 2009. "International innovation and strategic initiatives: A research agenda," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 193-205, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:27:y:2013:i:1:p:106-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.