Semivariance decomposition of country-level returns
A methodology for decomposing the below-mean semivariance into systematic and unsystematic components is introduced. The decomposition of variance and semivariance of asset returns is presented for forty-four country-level indexes. The proportion of risk explained for country-level returns in the Downside CAPM framework is higher than in the CAPM framework. On average for all markets, global systematic risk, as a proportion of total risk, is 42% in the CAPM and 56% in the Downside CAPM. A strong role for semivariance and downside beta is found in explaining the cross-section of country returns. Although skew is highly correlated to semivariance, no cross-sectional confirmation of the role of skew as a priced risk or in explaining the downside risk is identified.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Ballestero, 2005. "Mean-Semivariance Efficient Frontier: A Downside Risk Model for Portfolio Selection," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 1-15.
- Estrada, Javier, 2007. "Mean-semivariance behavior: Downside risk and capital asset pricing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 169-185.
- Ang, James S. & Chua, Jess H., 1979. "Composite Measures for the Evaluation of Investment Performance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(02), pages 361-384, June.
- Andrew Ang & Joseph Chen & Yuhang Xing, 2006.
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1191-1239.
- Fishburn, Peter C, 1977. "Mean-Risk Analysis with Risk Associated with Below-Target Returns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(2), pages 116-26, March.
- Javier Estrada, 2004. "Mean-Semivariance Behaviour: An Alternative Behavioural Model," Journal of Emerging Market Finance, Institute for Financial Management and Research, vol. 3(3), pages 231-248, December.
- Stehle, Richard E, 1977. "An Empirical Test of the Alternative Hypotheses of National and International Pricing of Risky Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 493-502, May.
- Woodward, George & Brooks, Robert, 2009. "Do realized betas exhibit up/down market tendencies?," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 511-519, June.
- Demirer, Riza & Lien, Donald, 2003. "Downside risk for short and long hedgers," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-44.
- Huang, Ho-Chuan (River), 2003. "Tests of regime-switching CAPM under price limits," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 305-326.
- Galagedera, Don U.A., 2007. "An alternative perspective on the relationship between downside beta and CAPM beta," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 4-19, March.
- Shaun Bond & Stephen Satchell, 2002. "Statistical properties of the sample semi-variance," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 219-239.
- Christian Pedersen & Stephen Satchell, 2002. "On the foundation of performance measures under asymmetric returns," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 217-223.
- Hargis, Kent, 2000. "International cross-listing and stock market development in emerging economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 101-122.
- Grootveld, Henk & Hallerbach, Winfried, 1999. "Variance vs downside risk: Is there really that much difference?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 304-319, April.
- Galagedera, Don U.A. & Brooks, Robert D., 2007. "Is co-skewness a better measure of risk in the downside than downside beta?: Evidence in emerging market data," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 214-230, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:20:y:2011:i:4:p:607-623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.