Are social, financial, and human capital value enhancing? Evidence from Taiwanese firms
This study examines the effects of social, financial, and human capital on the financial performance (i.e., Tobin's q) of Taiwanese firms in 2007. We find that social capital, as measured by total lending and borrowing among related-party transactions, has a positive effect on a firm's value. Human capital, such as employee productivity and research and development (R&D), also has significant positive effects on financial performance. In addition, a higher firm value is found to be associated with a better credit rating for the firm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Dong, Jing & Gou, Yan-nan, 2010. "Corporate governance structure, managerial discretion, and the R&D investment in China," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 180-188, April.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Lee, Chun I & Mathur, Ike, 2002. "Dimensions of international expansions by US firms to China: Wealth effects, mode selection, and firm-specific factors," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 139-154, May.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Krishna, Anirudh, 2001. "Moving from the Stock of Social Capital to the Flow of Benefits: The Role of Agency," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 925-943, June.
- Peter D. Sherer, 1995. "Leveraging human assets in law firms: Human capital structures and organizational capabilities," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 48(4), pages 671-691, July.
- Hung-Gay Fung & Xiaoqing Eleanor Xu & Qi-Zi Zhang, 2007. "On The Financial Performance Of Private Enterprises In China," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 12(04), pages 399-414.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Murphy, James T., 2002. "Networks, Trust, and Innovation in Tanzania's Manufacturing Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 591-619, April.
- Chan, Kam C. & Fung, Hung-Gay & Thapa, Samanta, 2007. "China financial research: A review and synthesis," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 416-428.
- William C. Brainard & James Tobin, 1968. "Pitfalls in Financial Model-Building," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 244, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:reveco:v:20:y:2011:i:3:p:395-405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.