Incentives for optimal management of age-structured fish populations
We characterize optimal fishery management in an age-structured, bio-economic model where two age groups are harvested with costly and imperfect selectivity. We show that a system of tradable fishing permits, each allowing to harvest a specific number of fish that differs with age group, implements optimal age-structured harvesting, while traditional biomass quotas fail to solve the problem of growth overfishing. With our system, gear restrictions (such as mesh-size prescriptions) become obsolete. We apply our model to the Eastern Baltic cod fishery and quantify the benefits of optimal age-structured management.
Volume (Year): 35 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Florian Diekert, 2012. "Growth Overfishing: The Race to Fish Extends to the Dimension of Size," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 52(4), pages 549-572, August.
- Anders Skonhoft & Niels Vestergaard & Martin Quaas, 2012. "Optimal Harvest in an Age Structured Model with Different Fishing Selectivity," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(4), pages 525-544, April.
- Townsend, Ralph E, 1995. "Transferable dynamic stock rights," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 153-158, March.
- Reed, William J., 1979. "Optimal escapement levels in stochastic and deterministic harvesting models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 350-363, December.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- José-María Da Rocha & María-Jose Gutiérrez & Luis Antelo, 2013.
"Selectivity, Pulse Fishing and Endogenous Lifespan in Beverton-Holt Models,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(1), pages 139-154, January.
- Da Rocha, José María & Gutiérrez Huerta, María José & Antelo, Luis T., 2012. "Selectivity, pulse fishing and endogenous lifespan in Beverton-Holt models," DFAEII Working Papers 2012-11, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Daniel S. Holland, 2011. "Optimal Intra-annual Exploitation of the Maine Lobster Fishery," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 87(4), pages 699-711.
- Doring, Ralf & Egelkraut, Thorsten M., 2008. "Investing in natural capital as management strategy in fisheries: The case of the Baltic Sea cod fishery," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 634-642, January.
- Diekert, Florian K. & Hjermann, Dag Ø. & Nævdal, Eric & Stenseth, Nils Chr., 2010. "Non-cooperative exploitation of multi-cohort fisheries--The role of gear selectivity in the North-East Arctic cod fishery," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 78-92, January.
- Nielsen, Max, 2006. "Trade liberalisation, resource sustainability and welfare: The case of East Baltic cod," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 650-664, June.
- Olli Tahvonen & Martin Quaas & Jörn Schmidt & Rudi Voss, 2013. "Optimal Harvesting of an Age-Structured Schooling Fishery," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 54(1), pages 21-39, January.
- Rognvaldur Hannesson, 1975. "Fishery Dynamics: A North Atlantic Cod Fishery," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 8(2), pages 151-173, May.
- Tahvonen, Olli, 2009. "Economics of harvesting age-structured fish populations," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 281-299, November.
- Anthony Scott, 1955. "The Fishery: The Objectives of Sole Ownership," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63, pages 116-116.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124-124.
- Singh, Rajesh & Weninger, Quinn, 2009. "Bio-Economies of Scope and the Discard Problem in Mulitple Species Fisheries," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12839, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lone Grønbæk Kronbak, 2002. "The Dynamics of an Open Access: The case of the Baltic Sea Cod Fishery - A Strategic Approach -," Working Papers 31/02, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Jensen, Frank & Vestergaard, Niels, 2002. "Moral hazard problems in fisheries regulation: the case of illegal landings and discard," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 281-299, November.
- Costello, Christopher J & Deacon, Robert T, 2007. "The Efficiency Gains from Fully Delineating Rights in an ITQ Fishery," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt56n8x9qb, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Singh, Rajesh & Weninger, Quinn, 2009. "Bioeconomies of scope and the discard problem in multiple-species fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 72-92, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)