Optimal taxation with joint production of agriculture and rural amenities
Abstract We show that, when there is joint production of an agricultural good and rural amenities, the first-best allocation of resources can be implemented with a tax on the agricultural good and some subsidies on the production factors (land and labor). The use of a subsidy on the agricultural good can only be explained by the desire of the policymaker to redistribute income from the consumers to the farmers.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blandford, David & Boisvert, Richard N., 2002. "Multifunctional Agriculture and Domestic/International Policy Choice," Estey Centre Journal of International Law and Trade Policy, Estey Centre for Law and Economics in International Trade, vol. 3(1).
- Jeffrey M. Peterson & Richard N. Boisvert & Harry de Gorter, 2002. "Environmental policies for a multifunctional agricultural sector in open economies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 423-443, December.
- Ollikainen, Markku & Lankoski, Jussi E., 2005.
"Multifunctional Agriculture: The Effect of Non-Public Goods on Socially Optimal Policies,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24611, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ollikainen, Markku & Lankoski, Jussi E., 2005. "Multifunctional agriculture: The effect of non-public good on socially optimal policies," Discussion Papers 11866, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- le Cotty, Tristan & Voituriez, Tancrede, 2003. "Multifunctionality And Non-Agricultural Supply Of Public Goods," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25850, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jussi Lankoski & Markku Ollikainen, 2003. "Agri-environmental externalities: a framework for designing targeted policies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 51-75, March.
- David Blandford & Richard N. Boisvert & Linda Fulponi, 2003. "Nontrade Concerns: Reconciling Domestic Policy Objectives with Freer Trade in Agricultural Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 668-673.
- David R. Harvey, 2003. "Agri-environmental Relationships and Multi-functionality: Further Considerations," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(5), pages 705-725, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:33:y:2011:i:3:p:544-553. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.