Residential response to voluntary time-of-use electricity rates
The response of residential households to voluntary Time-of-Use (TOU) electricity rates is estimated using data from a recent experiment at Midwest Power Systems of Iowa. The study's design allows us to examine both the participation decision and the customer's load pattern changes once the TOU rate structure was in effect. Substitution elasticities between on-peak and off-peak electricity usage are estimated and compared to those obtained in earlier mandatory programs, indicating whether program volunteers are more responsive to TOU pricing than the typical household. Attitudinal questionnaires allow us to examine the role of usage perceptions in program participation.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Trimble, John, 1984. "Appliance purchase and usage adaptation to a permanent time-of-day electricity rate schedule," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 115-139.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Caves, Douglas W. & Kuester, K. A., 1989.
"Load Shifting Under Voluntary Residential Time-Of-Use Rates,"
Staff General Research Papers
10791, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Douglas W. Caves & Joseph A. Herriges & Kathleen A. Kuester, 1989. "Load Shifting Under Voluntary Residential Time-of-Use Rates," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 83-99.
- Park, Rolla Edward & Acton, Jan Paul, 1984. "Large business customer response to time-of-day electricity rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 229-252.
- Kohler, Daniel F. & Mitchell, Bridger M., 1984. "Response to residential time-of-use electricity rates : How transferable are the findings?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 141-177.
- Train, Kenneth E & McFadden, Daniel L & Goett, Andrew A, 1987. "Consumer Attitudes and Voluntary Rate Schedules for Public Utilities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 383-91, August.
- Aigner, Dennis J & Ghali, Khalifa, 1989. "Self-Selection in the Residential Electricity Time-of-Use Pricing Experiments," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S131-44, Supplemen.
- Aigner, Dennis J. & Leamer, Edward E., 1984. "Estimation of time-of-use pricing response in the absence of experimental data : An application of the methodology of data transferability," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 205-227.
- Douglas W. Caves and Laurits R. Christensen, 1980. "Residential Substitution of Off-peak for Peak Electricity Usage under Time-of-Use Pricing," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2).
- Caves, Douglas W. & Christensen, Laurits R. & Herriges, Joseph A., 1984. "Consistency of residential customer response in time-of-use electricity pricing experiments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-2), pages 179-203.
- Tishler, Asher, 1983. "The industrial and commercial demand for electricity under time-of-use pricing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 369-384, December.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Joseph G. Hirschberg, 1985. "Commercial/Industrial Customer Response to Time-Of-Use Electricity Prices: Some Experimental Results," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 341-355, Autumn.
- Caves, Douglas W. & Christensen, L. R. & Herriges, Joseph A., 1984. "The Consistency of the Residential Customer Response in Time-Of-Use Electricity Pricing Experiments," Staff General Research Papers 10798, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:20:y:1998:i:3:p:225-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.