Comparison of renewable energy policy evolution among the BRICs
Renewable energy policy evolution of the BRICs is analyzed and assessed quantitatively based on the Bai and Perron’ s structure breaks test. Results indicate no break for time series of renewable production in Russia, while series of renewable production and consumption are characterized as segmented trend stationary processes around one or two structural breaks in Brazil, India and China. Renewable policies in Brazil and China have long-term positive effects on renewable energy production and consumption, improving the two variables’ growth rate. The time series structure change of Indian renewable energy production is complicated and the long-term impact of energy policies on renewable production is contradictory at the two breakpoints. Russian renewable policies are not working, reducing renewable energy consumption growth in the long-term. Empirical analysis suggests policy implications that China should mandate the promotion of renewable energy, develop biomass energy on the base of comparative advantage and enhance renewable energy industry chain integration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peidong, Zhang & Yanli, Yang & jin, Shi & Yonghong, Zheng & Lisheng, Wang & Xinrong, Li, 2009. "Opportunities and challenges for renewable energy policy in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 439-449, February.
- Pereira Jr., Amaro Olimpio & Pereira, André Santos & La Rovere, Emilio Lèbre & Barata, Martha Macedo de Lima & Villar, Sandra de Castro & Pires, Silvia Helena, 2011. "Strategies to promote renewable energy in Brazil," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 681-688, January.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Bhattacharya, S.C. & Jana, Chinmoy, 2009. "Renewable energy in India: Historical developments and prospects," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 981-991.
- Liu, Yingqi & Kokko, Ari, 2010. "Wind power in China: Policy and development challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5520-5529, October.
- Yang, Hong & Wang, He & Yu, Huacong & Xi, Jianping & Cui, Rongqiang & Chen, Guangde, 2003. "Status of photovoltaic industry in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 703-707, June.
- Chen, Yu & Yang, Gaihe & Sweeney, Sandra & Feng, Yongzhong, 2010. "Household biogas use in rural China: A study of opportunities and constraints," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 545-549, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Martinot, E., 1999. "Renewable energy in Russia: markets, development and technology transfer," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 49-75, March.
- Geller, Howard & Schaeffer, Roberto & Szklo, Alexandre & Tolmasquim, Mauricio, 2004. "Policies for advancing energy efficiency and renewable energy use in Brazil," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1437-1450, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:9:p:4904-4909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.