The role of the thermally activated desiccant cooling technologies in the issue of energy and environment
This paper presents the review of the development and application of the thermally activated desiccant cooling technologies. The paper first introduces the global problem of energy and the environment related to the consumption of the carbon-based energy sources (gas, oil and coal). The contribution of the building sector to the above problem so as to maintain indoor environment providing human thermal comfort is shown. In this paper, the alternative methods for the provision of the human thermal comfort through thermally activated desiccant cooling technologies are discussed--solid desiccant, liquid desiccant and hybrid desiccant cooling systems. These technologies are potential alternatives to the mechanical vapor compression cooling technologies in the provision of human thermal comfort conditions. However, the development and application is mostly in developed and advanced developing countries. For a global scale solution to the problem of energy and environment contributed by the building sector for maintenance of comfortable conditions, dissemination of ideas and technologies to the developing world (Africa, South and South East Asia, South America) enhances the applicability and practicability of these technologies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kabeel, A.E., 2007. "Solar powered air conditioning system using rotary honeycomb desiccant wheel," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1842-1857.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & BERTINELLI, Luisito & STROBL, Eric, 2006.
"Climatic change and rural-urban migration: the case of sub-Saharan Africa,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006046, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Barrios, Salvador & Bertinelli, Luisito & Strobl, Eric, 2006. "Climatic change and rural-urban migration: The case of sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 357-371, November.
- Salvador Barrios & Luisito Bertinelli & Eric Strobl, 2006. "Climatic Change and Rural-Urban Migration: The Case of Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers 06-01, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Eric Strobl & Luisito Bertinelli & Salvador Barrios, . "Climatic Change and Rural-Urban Migration: The Case of Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 06-01, FEDEA.
- Day, A.R. & Ogumka, P. & Jones, P.G. & Dunsdon, A., 2009. "The use of the planning system to encourage low carbon energy technologies in buildings," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2016-2021.
- Liu, Weiwei & Lian, Zhiwei & Radermacher, Reinhard & Yao, Ye, 2007. "Energy consumption analysis on a dedicated outdoor air system with rotary desiccant wheel," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1749-1760.
- Nandwani, Shyam S., 2006. "Uses of solar energy in Costa Rica," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 689-701.
- Kolokotroni, M. & Aronis, A., 1999. "Cooling-energy reduction in air-conditioned offices by using night ventilation," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 63(4), pages 241-253, August.
- Taki, Y. & Babus'Haq, R.F. & Probert, S.D., 1991. "Combined heat and power as a contributory means of maintaining a green environment," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 83-91.
- Angulo-Brown, F. & Sánchez-Salas, N. & Barranco-Jiménez, M.A. & Rosales, M.A., 2009. "Possible future scenarios for atmospheric concentration of greenhouse gases: A simplified thermodynamic approach," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2344-2352.
- Kabeel, A.E., 2005. "Augmentation of the performance of solar regenerator of open absorption cooling system," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 327-338.
- Hamed, Ahmed M., 2003. "Desorption characteristics of desiccant bed for solar dehumidification/humidification air conditioning systems," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(13), pages 2099-2111.
- La, D. & Dai, Y.J. & Li, Y. & Wang, R.Z. & Ge, T.S., 2010. "Technical development of rotary desiccant dehumidification and air conditioning: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 130-147, January.
- Green, Chris & Baksi, Soham & Dilmaghani, Maryam, 2007. "Challenges to a climate stabilizing energy future," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 616-626, January.
- Lund, Henrik, 2006. "The Kyoto mechanisms and technological innovation," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(13), pages 2325-2332.
- Daou, K. & Wang, R.Z. & Xia, Z.Z., 2006. "Desiccant cooling air conditioning: a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 55-77, April.
- Rady, M.A. & Huzayyin, A.S. & Arquis, E. & Monneyron, P. & Lebot, C. & Palomo, E., 2009. "Study of heat and mass transfer in a dehumidifying desiccant bed with macro-encapsulated phase change materials," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 718-726.
- Greene, David L. & Hopson, Janet L. & Li, Jia, 2006. "Have we run out of oil yet? Oil peaking analysis from an optimist's perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 515-531, March.
- Fan, Y. & Luo, L. & Souyri, B., 2007. "Review of solar sorption refrigeration technologies: Development and applications," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(8), pages 1758-1775, October.
- Balaras, Constantinos A. & Grossman, Gershon & Henning, Hans-Martin & Infante Ferreira, Carlos A. & Podesser, Erich & Wang, Lei & Wiemken, Edo, 2007. "Solar air conditioning in Europe--an overview," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 299-314, February.
- Boehm, R.F., 1986. "Maximum performance of solar heat engines," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 281-296.
- James Edmonds, 2004. "Climate Change and Energy Technologies," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 391-416, October.
- Zhang, L.Z., 2006. "Energy performance of independent air dehumidification systems with energy recovery measures," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1228-1242.
- Luken, Ralph & Grof, Tamas, 2006. "The Montreal Protocol's multilateral fund and sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 241-255, February.
- Shaviv, Edna & Yezioro, Abraham & Capeluto, Isaac G, 2001. "Thermal mass and night ventilation as passive cooling design strategy," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 445-452.
- Jean-Baptiste, Philippe & Ducroux, Rene, 2003. "Energy policy and climate change," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 155-166, January.
- Smith, R.R. & Hwang, C.C. & Dougall, R.S., 1994. "Modeling of a solar-assisted desiccant air conditioner for a residential building," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 679-691.
- Kahn, James Randall & Franceschi, Dina, 2006. "Beyond Kyoto: A tax-based system for the global reduction of greenhouse gas emissions," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 778-787, July.
- Short, C.A. & Cook, M.J. & Woods, A., 2009. "Low energy ventilation and cooling within an urban heat island," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2022-2029.
- Silveira, Jaylson J. & Espíndola, Aquino L. & Penna, T.J.P., 2006. "Agent-based model to rural–urban migration analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 364(C), pages 445-456.
- Enteria, Napoleon & Yoshino, Hiroshi & Satake, Akira & Mochida, Akashi & Takaki, Rie & Yoshie, Ryuichiro & Baba, Seizo, 2010. "Development and construction of the novel solar thermal desiccant cooling system incorporating hot water production," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 478-486, February.
- Desideri, Umberto & Proietti, Stefania & Sdringola, Paolo, 2009. "Solar-powered cooling systems: Technical and economic analysis on industrial refrigeration and air-conditioning applications," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(9), pages 1376-1386, September.
- Bernhoff, Hans & Sjöstedt, Elisabeth & Leijon, Mats, 2006. "Wave energy resources in sheltered sea areas: A case study of the Baltic Sea," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(13), pages 2164-2170.
- Sultan, G.I. & Hamed, Ahmed M. & Sultan, A.A., 2002. "The effect of inlet parameters on the performance of packed tower-regenerator," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 271-283.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:15:y:2011:i:4:p:2095-2122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.