Did reverse logistics practices hit the triple bottom line of Chinese manufacturers?
Reverse logistics (RL) practices represent an important and emerging trend in China's manufacturing practices. An increasing number of Chinese manufacturers have integrated RL practices in their operations to develop sustainable competitive advantage. There are six broad aspects of practicing RL which include waste management, recycling, reuse, reprocessing, materials recovery, and design for RL. The literature remains unclear, in particular Chinese manufacturing context, as to how these RL practices are related to organizational bottom line with respect to operational, financial, and social performance outcomes. Using survey data collected from Chinese export-oriented manufacturers, we applied seemingly unrelated regressions to determine if these six RL practices contribute to these three performance parameters simultaneously. The theory of production frontier is used to characterize the RL practices adoption and the performance implications. Our results indicate that the adoption of RL practices by Chinese manufacturers generates substantial environmental and financial gains, but not social benefits. This study extends the frontier of managerial knowledge for Chinese manufacturers by highlighting the emerging trends in RL practices and providing evidence on the business value of adopting RL practices.
Volume (Year): 146 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krumwiede, Dennis W. & Sheu, Chwen, 2002. "A model for reverse logistics entry by third-party providers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 325-333, October.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Green supply chain management implications for "closing the loop"," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Min, Hokey & Ko, Hyun-Jeung, 2008. "The dynamic design of a reverse logistics network from the perspective of third-party logistics service providers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 176-192, May.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Geng, Yong & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "Evaluating green supply chain management among Chinese manufacturers from the ecological modernization perspective," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 808-821.
- Xiaokun Wang & Kara Kockelman, 2007. "Specification and estimation of a spatially and temporally autocorrelated seemingly unrelated regression model: application to crash rates in China," Transportation, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 281-300, May.
- Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-hung & Shang, Kuo-Chung & Lu, Chin-Shan & Leung, T.K.P., 2012. "Green operations and the moderating role of environmental management capability of suppliers on manufacturing firm performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 283-294.
- Gomez, Fernando & Guzman, Juan Ignacio & Tilton, John E., 2007. "Copper recycling and scrap availability," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 183-190, December.
- Prahinski, Carol & Kocabasoglu, Canan, 2006. "Empirical research opportunities in reverse supply chains," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 519-532, December.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Cheng, T.C.E., 2012. "Ecological modernisation of Chinese export manufacturing via green logistics management and its regional implications," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(4), pages 766-770.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Firm-level correlates of emergent green supply chain management practices in the Chinese context," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 577-591, August.
- Das, Kanchan & Chowdhury, Abdul H., 2012. "Designing a reverse logistics network for optimal collection, recovery and quality-based product-mix planning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 209-221.
- John E. Ettlie, 1995. "Product-Process Development Integration in Manufacturing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(7), pages 1224-1237, July.
- Charles J. Corbett & Robert D. Klassen, 2006. "Extending the Horizons: Environmental Excellence as Key to Improving Operations," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Overton, Terry S., 1977. "Estimating Nonresponse Bias in Mail Surveys," MPRA Paper 81694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y., 2012. "Green logistics management and performance: Some empirical evidence from Chinese manufacturing exporters," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 267-282.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Cheng, T. C. Edwin, 2005. "Effects of quality management and marketing on organizational performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 446-456, April.
- Kenné, Jean-Pierre & Dejax, Pierre & Gharbi, Ali, 2012. "Production planning of a hybrid manufacturing–remanufacturing system under uncertainty within a closed-loop supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 81-93.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:146:y:2013:i:1:p:106-117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.