Green operations and the moderating role of environmental management capability of suppliers on manufacturing firm performance
The increased pollution arising from different stages of producing, distributing, and disposing of electronics products highlights the importance of green operations (GO) in terms of process and product stewardship to mitigate environmental damages and satisfy the escalating social expectation for environmentally friendly operations in the electronics industry. Drawing on the natural-resource-based view, the purpose of this paper is to examine the boundary spanning role of GO and investigate the influence of environmental management capability (EMC) of suppliers on firm performance and pollution reduction. The findings from a survey of 122 manufacturing firms indicate that the success of GO is contingent on the EMC of suppliers. In addition, we found that process stewardship has a positive influence on performance outcomes and that the EMC of suppliers moderates the relationship between process stewardship and financial performance. These findings indicate that manufacturers should emphasize the EMC of suppliers in their GO to reap financial as well as environmental benefits.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 140 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Firm-level correlates of emergent green supply chain management practices in the Chinese context," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 577-591, August.
- Sharon Novak & Steven D. Eppinger, 2001. "Sourcing By Design: Product Complexity and the Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 189-204, January.
- Charles J. Corbett & Robert D. Klassen, 2006. "Extending the Horizons: Environmental Excellence as Key to Improving Operations," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(1), pages 5-22, March.
- Cole, Matthew A. & Elliott, Robert J.R. & Shimamoto, Kenichi, 2006.
"Globalization, firm-level characteristics and environmental management: A study of Japan,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 312-323, September.
- Matthew Cole, Robert Elliott and Kenichi Shimamoto, 2005. "Globalization, Firm-Level Characteristics and Environmental Management: A Study of Japan," Discussion Papers 05-17, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Gunasekaran, Angappa & Lai, Kee-hung & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2008. "Responsive supply chain: A competitive strategy in a networked economy," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 549-564, August.
- Sung S. Kim & Naresh K. Malhotra, 2005. "A Longitudinal Model of Continued IS Use: An Integrative View of Four Mechanisms Underlying Postadoption Phenomena," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 741-755, May.
- Naresh K. Malhotra & Sung S. Kim & Ashutosh Patil, 2006. "Common Method Variance in IS Research: A Comparison of Alternative Approaches and a Reanalysis of Past Research," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(12), pages 1865-1883, December.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Lai, Kee-hung & Wong, Christina W.Y., 2012. "Green logistics management and performance: Some empirical evidence from Chinese manufacturing exporters," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 267-282.
- Yang, Jie & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-hung & Ntoko, Alfred Ngome, 2009. "The antecedents of dyadic quality performance and its effect on buyer-supplier relationship improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 243-251, July.
- Zhu, Qinghua & Sarkis, Joseph & Lai, Kee-hung, 2008. "Green supply chain management implications for "closing the loop"," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Sarv Devaraj & Rajiv Kohli, 2003. "Performance Impacts of Information Technology: Is Actual Usage the Missing Link?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(3), pages 273-289, March.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Zhu, Qinghua & Lai, Kee-hung, 2011. "An organizational theoretic review of green supply chain management literature," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 1-15, March.
- González-Benito, Javier & González-Benito, Óscar, 2005. "Environmental proactivity and business performance: an empirical analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Carter, Craig R. & Kale, Rahul & Grimm, Curtis M., 2000. "Environmental purchasing and firm performance: an empirical investigation," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 219-228, September.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Koufteros, Xenophon & Marcoulides, George A., 2006. "Product development practices and performance: A structural equation modeling-based multi-group analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 286-307, September.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Qian, Yingyi & Roberts, John, 1991. "Complementarities, Momentum, and the Evolution of Modern Manufacturing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 84-88, May.
- Yang, Jie & Wang, Jinjun & Wong, Christina W.Y. & Lai, Kee-Hung, 2008. "Relational stability and alliance performance in supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 600-608, August.
- Michael E. Porter & Claas van der Linde, 1995. "Toward a New Conception of the Environment-Competitiveness Relationship," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 97-118, Fall.
- Koufteros, Xenophon A. & Nahm, Abraham Y. & Edwin Cheng, T.C. & Lai, Kee-hung, 2007. "An empirical assessment of a nomological network of organizational design constructs: From culture to structure to pull production to performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 468-492, April.
- Atalay Atasu & Miklos Sarvary & Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2008. "Remanufacturing as a Marketing Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(10), pages 1731-1746, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:140:y:2012:i:1:p:283-294. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.