Service-based capacity strategy for manufacturing service duopoly of differentiated prices and lognormal random demand
Globalization of production has ushered in vibrant manufacturing service industries whose business is to serve the production needs of product engineering firms. In these engineering-manufacturing chains, risk of capacity supply is an important concern for product firms as manufacturers are normally conservative in capacity expansion, especially when demand uncertainty and investment risk are high. To provide quality manufacturing services, this risk must be taken into consideration in formulating a capacity strategy. This paper presents a competition analysis method based on supply risk for a manufacturing duopoly of differentiated prices and lognormal random demand. A novel service-based demand rationing rule is first proposed. Reaction curves and equilibrium of capacity strategy are next derived. Finally, competition behavior of the duopoly is analyzed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Carl Davidson & Raymond Deneckere, 1986. "Long-Run Competition in Capacity, Short-Run Competition in Price, and the Cournot Model," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 404-415, Autumn.
- Johnson, Mark & Mena, Carlos, 2008. "Supply chain management for servitised products: A multi-industry case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 27-39, July.
- Bruno De Borger & Kurt Van Dender, 2005.
"Prices, capacities and service quality in a congestible Bertrand duopoly,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p221, European Regional Science Association.
- De Borger, Bruno & Van Dender, Kurt, 2005. "Prices, capacities and service quality in a congestible Bertrand duopoly," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt1k51437c, University of California Transportation Center.
- Mathur, Puneet Prakash & Shah, Janat, 2008. "Supply chain contracts with capacity investment decision: Two-way penalties for coordination," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 56-70, July.
- Jan A. Van Mieghem & Maqbool Dada, 1999. "Price Versus Production Postponement: Capacity and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(12), pages 1639-1649, December.
- Chou, Yon-Chun & Cheng, C.-T. & Yang, Feng-Cheng & Liang, Yi-Yu, 2007. "Evaluating alternative capacity strategies in semiconductor manufacturing under uncertain demand and price scenarios," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 591-606, February.
- Crampes, C. & Hollander, A., 1991.
"Duopoly and Quality Standards,"
Cahiers de recherche
9128, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cattani, Kyle D. & Dahan, Ely & Schmidt, Glen M., 2008. "Tailored capacity: Speculative and reactive fabrication of fashion goods," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 416-430, August.
- Ciaran Driver & Fabrice Goffinet, 1998. "Investment under Demand Uncertainty, Ex-Ante Pricing, and Oligopoly," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(4), pages 409-423, August.
- Li, Jianli & Liu, Liwen, 2008. "Supply chain coordination with manufacturer's limited reserve capacity: An extended newsboy problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 860-868, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:121:y:2009:i:1:p:162-175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.