Is a unified macroeconomic policy necessarily better for a common currency area?
It is widely assumed that a common currency makes it desirable to have also a common fiscal policy. However, if fiscal policy is a source of shocks, independent national fiscal policies are generally preferable because they allow risk diversification.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bent E. Sï¿½rensen & Oved Yosha, 1998. "International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 327, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ansgar Belke & Friedrich Schneider, 2004.
"Privatization in Austria: Some Theoretical Reasons and First Results About the Privatization Proceeds,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1123, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ansgar Belke & Friedrich Schneider, 2003. "Privatization in Austria: Some Theoretical Reasons and First Results About the Privatization Proceeds," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 229/2003, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Ansgar Belke & Nilgün Terzibas, 2003. "Die Integrationsbemühungen der Türkei aus ökonomischer Sicht," Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim 230/2003, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Sorensen, B-E & Yosha, O, 1996.
"International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification,"
40-96, Tel Aviv.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved, 1998. "International risk sharing and European monetary unification," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 211-238, August.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rockett, Katharine E, 1988. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination When Policymakers Do Not Agree on the True Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 318-40, June.
- Gandolfo, Giancarlo & Goldberg, Michael D., 2005. "International Finance And Open-Economy Macroeconomics," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 263-266, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:poleco:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:98-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.