Bankruptcy as an exit mechanism for systems with a variable number of components
Dynamical systems with components whose sizes evolve according to multiplicative stochastic rules have been recently combined with entry and exit processes. We show that the assumptions usually made in modeling exits are at odds with the available evidence. We discuss a recently proposed macroeconomic model with random multiplicative shocks and a mechanism for exit based on bankruptcy, which displays several observed stylized facts for firms' dynamics, like power law distributions for firms' sizes and Laplace distributions for firms' growth rates.
Volume (Year): 344 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaffeo, Edoardo & Gallegati, Mauro & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Palestrini, Antonio, 2003. "Power laws and macroeconomic fluctuations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 408-416.
- Matteo Richiardi, 2004.
"Generalizing Gibrat: Reasonable Multiplicative Models of Firm Dynamics,"
Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation,
Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 7(1), pages 1-2.
- Matteo Richiardi, 2003. "Generalizing Gibrat. Reasonable Multiplicative Models of Firm Dynamics," Industrial Organization 0304004, EconWPA.
- Reed, William J., 2001. "The Pareto, Zipf and other power laws," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 15-19, December.
- D. Delli Gatti & C. Di Guilmi & M. Gallegati & E. Gaffeo & G. Giulioni & A. Palestrini, 2008. "Scaling Laws In The Macroeconomy," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(01), pages 131-138.
- Gatti, Domenico Delli & Guilmi, Corrado Di & Gaffeo, Edoardo & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2005. "A new approach to business fluctuations: heterogeneous interacting agents, scaling laws and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 489-512, April.
- Hideaki Aoyama & Yuichi Nagahara & Mitsuhiro P. Okazaki & Wataru Souma & Hideki Takayasu & Misako Takayasu, 2000. "Pareto's Law for Income of Individuals and Debt of Bankrupt Companies," Papers cond-mat/0006038, arXiv.org.
- Xavier Gabaix, 1999. "Zipf's Law for Cities: An Explanation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(3), pages 739-767. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)