The essentiality of money in environments with centralized trade
Lagos and Wright (2005) introduced an influential model of monetary exchange in which trade alternates between centralized and decentralized markets and money is essential. A limitation of their model and of the literature that follows is that they do not provide a microfoundation for the process of exchange in the centralized market. In this paper, we show that how one models exchange in the centralized market matters for the essentiality of money by describing the centralized market as a strategic market game and studying conditions under which money is essential.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward J. Green & Ruilin Zhou, 2002.
"Money as a mechanism in a Bewley economy,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- D. Aliprantis, C. & Camera, G. & Puzzello, D., 2007.
"Anonymous markets and monetary trading,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1905-1928, October.
- Kandori, Michihiro, 1992.
"Social Norms and Community Enforcement,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Aldo Rustichini, 1992.
"Convergence to Efficiency in a Simple Market with Incomplete Information,"
995, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Rustichini, Aldo & Satterthwaite, Mark A & Williams, Steven R, 1994. "Convergence to Efficiency in a Simple Market with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1041-63, September.
- Charalambos D Aliprantis & Gabriele Camera & Daniela Puzzello, 2007. "Contagion Equilibria in a Monetary Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(1), pages 277-282, 01.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-68, October.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1993. "A Search-Theoretic Approach to Monetary Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Green, Edward J., 1980. "Noncooperative price taking in large dynamic markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 155-182, April.
- David K. Levine & Wolfgang Pesendorfer, 1995.
"When Are Agents Negligible?,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
96, David K. Levine.
- Hayashi, Fumio & Matsui, Akihiko, 1996.
"A Model of Fiat Money and Barter,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 111-132, January.
- Postlewaite, A & Schmeidler, David, 1978. "Approximate Efficiency of Non-Walrasian Nash Equilibria," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 127-35, January.
- Dubey, Pradeep & Shubik, Martin, 1978. "A theory of money and financial institutions. 28. The non-cooperative equilibria of a closed trading economy with market supply and bidding strategies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2004.
"A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis,"
346, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2005. "A Unified Framework for Monetary Theory and Policy Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 463-484, June.
- Ricardo Lagos & Randall Wright, 2002. "A unified framework for monetary theory and policy analysis," Working Paper 0211, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Martin W. Cripps & Jeroen M. Swinkels, 2006.
"Efficiency of Large Double Auctions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(1), pages 47-92, 01.
- Mailath, George J. & Samuelson, Larry, 2006. "Repeated Games and Reputations: Long-Run Relationships," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195300796, March.
- Araujo, Luis, 2004. "Social norms and money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 241-256, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:moneco:v:59:y:2012:i:7:p:612-621. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.