Trading equilibrium in a public good economy with smooth preferences and a mixed measure space of consumers
Lindahl and Nash equilibria are often used in the theory of public good. Shitovitz and Spiegel (1998) present an example of 2-person economy with one private good and one pure public good, where the core efficient Lindahl allocation does not Pareto dominate the (inefficient) Nash allocation. In this paper we introduce the new concept of Trading equilibrium for a general public good economy with smooth preferences and a mixed measure space of consumers. We obtain that this economy admits a unique Trading equilibrium. Moreover, the Trading equilibrium induces a core allocation that strictly Pareto dominates the Nash allocation.
Volume (Year): 48 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jmateco|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Artstein, Zvi, 1979. "A note on fatou's lemma in several dimensions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 277-282, December.
- Gabszewicz, Jean J. & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 1992.
"The core in imperfectly competitive economies,"
Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications,
in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 459-483
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, December.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972.
Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-15, July.
- Codognato, Giulio & Gabszewicz, Jean J, 1993.
"Cournot-Walras Equilibria in Markets with a Continuum of Traders,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(3), pages 453-64, July.
- CODOGNATO, Giulio & GABSZEWICZ, Jean J., . "Cournot-Walras equilibria in markets with a continuum of traders," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1041, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Okuno, Masahiro & Postlewaite, Andrew & Roberts, John, 1980.
"Oligopoly and Competition in Large Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 22-31, March.
- Foley, Duncan K, 1970.
"Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 66-72, January.
- D. K. Foley, 1967. "Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods," Working papers 3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Shitovitz, Benyamin & Spiegel, Menahem, 1998. "Cournot-Nash and Lindahl Equilibria in Pure Public Good Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 1-18, November.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2011.
"Noncooperative oligopoly in markets with a continuum of traders,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 38-45, May.
- Busetto, Francesca & Codognato, Giulio & Ghosal, Sayantan, 2008. "Noncooperative Oligopoly in Markets with a Continuum of Traders," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 866, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Shitovitz, Benyamin & Spiegel, Menahem, 2001. " Stable Provision vs. Cournot-Nash Equilibria in Pure Public Good Economies," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 3(2), pages 219-24.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1986. "On the Voluntary and Involuntary Provision of Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 789-93, September.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:48:y:2012:i:3:p:163-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.