Optimum organization of the labor market in a small open economy
In Denmark labor has been organized in independent but cooperating craft unions for more than a century. Within an extremely simple model of a small open economy facing imperfect competition, we analyze four different ways of organizing the labor market and show that the Danish model (partial centralization of the wage setting process) may be accounted for as the outcome of a two-stage Nash bargaining game, being robust in relation to changes in market conditions, and likely close to optimum from the point of view of society as a whole.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gylfason, Thorvaldur & Lindbeck, Assar, 1984. "Union Rivalry and Wages: An Oligopolistic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(202), pages 129-39, May.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sørgard, Lars & Straume, Odd Rune, 2003.
"National versus International Mergers in Unionised Oligopoly,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "National versus international mergers in unionized oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 212-233, 03.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Sørgard, Lars, 2003. "National versus international mergers in unionised oligopoly," Working Papers in Economics 12/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Horn, H. & Wolinsky, A., 1988.
"Bilateral Monopolies And Incentives For Merger,"
410, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jonas Björnerstedt & Andreas Westermark, 2009. "The inefficiency of price quantity bargaining," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 40(2), pages 301-332, August.
- Holden, Steinar & Raaum, Oddbjorn, 1991.
"Wage Moderation and Union Structure,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 409-23, July.
- Risager, Ole, 1993. "Labour Substitution in Denmark," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(1), pages 123-35, February.
- Pemberton, James, 1988. "A 'Managerial' Model of the Trade Union," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(392), pages 755-71, September.
- Horn, Henrik & Wolinsky, Asher, 1988. "Worker Substitutability and Patterns of Unionisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 484-97, June.
- Davidson, Carl, 1988. "Multiunit Bargaining in Oligopolistic Industries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(3), pages 397-422, July.
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000387, David K. Levine.
- Hoel, Michael, 1991.
"Union Wage Policy: The Importance of Labour Mobility and the Degree of Centralization,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 58(230), pages 139-53, May.
- Hoel, M., 1989. "Union Wages Policy: The Importance Of Labour Mobility And The Degree Of Centralization," Memorandum 05/1989, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Moene, Karl O, 1988. "Unions' Threats and Wage Determination," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 471-83, June.
- Munch, Jakob Roland & Skaksen, Jan Rose, 2002. " Product Market Integration and Wages in Unionized Countries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(2), pages 289-99, June.
- Byoung Heon Jun, 1989. "Non-cooperative Bargaining and Union Formation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 59-76.
- Naylor, Robin A, 1995. " On the Economic Effects of Multiple Unionism," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(1), pages 161-67, March.
- Zhao, Laixun, 1998. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Wages and Employment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 284-301, April.
- Wallace E. Hendricks & Lawrence M. Kahn, 1982. "The Determinants of Bargaining Structure in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 35(2), pages 181-195, January.
- De Fraja, Giovanni, 1993. "Staggered vs. synchronised wage setting in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1507-1522, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:labeco:v:19:y:2012:i:2:p:222-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.