Illusion therapy: How to impose an economic shock without social pain
This study attempts to demonstrate how a government launched an economic structural reform plan that previous governments, fearing a serious social backlash, had been unable to implement over the course of 30 years. The findings show that the Iranian government used “illusion therapy”, a package of econo-psychological techniques, to implement IMF-backed “shock” economic reforms to long-standing energy and food subsidies, without facing the expected social reaction.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodney Fort, 2004. "Subsidies as incentive mechanisms in sports," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 95-102.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931, June.
- Jean-Luc Migue & Richard Marceau, 1993. "Pollution Taxes, Subsidies, and Rent Seeking," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 355-65, May.
- Sterner, Thomas, 2007. "Fuel taxes: An important instrument for climate policy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3194-3202, June.
- Beynon, Malcolm, 2002. "An analysis of distributions of priority values from alternative comparison scales within AHP," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 104-117, July.
- Tuck, L. & Lindert, K., 1996. "From Universal Food Subsidies to a Self-Targeted Program: A Case Study in Tunisian Reform," World Bank - Discussion Papers 351, World Bank.
- Dogruel, Fatma & Dogruel, A. Suut & Yeldan, Erinc, 2003. "Macroeconomics of Turkey's agricultural reforms: an intertemporal computable general equilibrium analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(6-7), pages 617-637, September.
- Carter, Colin & Chadee, Doren & Darko, Kwame, 1999. "Are Subsidies to be Blamed? A Reexamination of U.S. Countervailing Duty on Hog Imports From Canada," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 823-830, December.
- Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "The impact on poverty of food pricing reforms: A welfare analysis for Indonesia," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 281-299.
- Bigman, David, 1987. "Targeted subsidy programs under instability: A simulation and an illustration for Pakistan," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 483-501.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1974. "The Political Economy of the Rent-Seeking Society," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 291-303, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:34:y:2012:i:1:p:99-111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.