EU regional convergence and policy: Does the concept of region matter?
Regional convergence has become a heated topic in the last decades. To address it, most papers define regions on the base of normative/administrative criteria, although some consider that it could lead to misleading conclusions. In view of that, this article explores, over the period 1995–2006, the per capita income distribution of two sets of European regions: administrative (NUTS2) and functional (Metropolitan) regions. From a methodological point of view, a distribution dynamics approach – examining the external shape and movements within these distributions – is applied to analyse the issue of convergence. The study does reveal the presence of a process of convergence across both types of regions; however, this seems to be more rapid with Metropolitan than NUTS2 regions, which prompt us to proposing some relative major changes in the EU regional policy.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Durlauf,S.N. & Quah,D.T., 1998.
"The new empirics of economic growth,"
3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- S Durlauf & Danny Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," CEP Discussion Papers dp0384, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," Working Papers 98-01-012, Santa Fe Institute.
- Steven N. Durlauf & Danny T. Quah, 1998. "The New Empirics of Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 6422, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Walker, Douglas O., 2007. "Patterns of income distribution among world regions," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 643-655.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paulus, Alari & Peichl, Andreas, 2009.
"Effects of flat tax reforms in Western Europe,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 620-636, September.
- Paulus, Alari & Peichl, Andreas, 2008. "Effects of Flat Tax Reforms in Western Europe on Income Distribution and Work Incentives," IZA Discussion Papers 3721, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Baumol, William J., 2007. "On income distribution and growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 545-548.
- Stefano Magrini, 2009. "Why Should We Analyse Convergence Using the Distribution Dynamics Approach?," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 8(1), pages 5-34.
- Galbraith, James K., 2007. "Global inequality and global macroeconomics," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 587-607.
- Mauro, Luciano, 2004. "The macroeconomics of Italy: a regional perspective," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(8-9), pages 927-944, December.
- Stefan Krätke, 2007. "Metropolisation of the European Economic Territory as a Consequence of Increasing Specialisation of Urban Agglomerations in the Knowledge Economy," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Bashtannyk, David M. & Hyndman, Rob J., 2001.
"Bandwidth selection for kernel conditional density estimation,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 279-298, May.
- Bashtannyk, D.M. & Hyndman, R.J., 1998. "Bandwidth Selection for Kernel Conditional Density Estimation," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 16/98, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Quah, Danny T, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 27-59, March.
- Frank Corvers & Maud Hensen & Dion Bongaerts, 2009. "Delimitation and Coherence of Functional and Administrative Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 19-31.
- Fields, Gary S., 2007. "How much should we care about changing income inequality in the course of economic growth?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 577-585.
- Magrini, Stefano, 1999. "The evolution of income disparities among the regions of the European Union," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 257-281, March.
- J. M. Casado-Diaz, 2000. "Local Labour Market Areas in Spain: A Case Study," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 843-856.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:6:p:889-900. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.