Interest rate pass-through in central and Eastern Europe: Reborn from ashes merely to pass away?
In this study, we seek to better understand the interest rate pass-through in fi ve Central and Eastern European countries – the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia, the CEE-5 – and compare it with the pass-through in selected euro area countries – Austria, Germany and Spain. We fi nd that the pass-through is not operational for long-term market rates because of the unstable yield curve. We fi nd evidence that the pass-through from policy rates even transits through short-term market rates to long-term retail rates. Although nearly complete pass-through is detected for corporate lending rates in a majority of the CEE-5, pass-through estimates for several retail rates are generally lower than those reported in the literature, given the absence of cointegration between policy rates and long- or even short-term market rates. Although the pass-through is usually higher in the CEE-5 than in Austria and Germany, it has been declining over time in particular in Hungary and (with respect to lending rates) in Poland. The adoption of the euro seems to have slightly increased the pass-through in Spain and Austria but not in Germany.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993.
"A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991. "A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tom Doan, . "SWDOLS: RATS procedure to estimate cointegrating vectors using dynamic OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00207, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-through in an Enlarged Europe: The Role of Banking Market Structure for Monetary Policy Transmission in Transition Countries," Research Memorandum 045, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Alexander F. Tieman, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in Romania and Other Central European Economies," IMF Working Papers 04/211, International Monetary Fund.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2004.
"Convergence in euro-zone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-492, April.
- Sander,Harald & Kleimeier,Stefanie, 2003. "Convergence in Eurozone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration," Research Memorandum 051, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Leonardo Gambacorta, 2005.
"How Do Banks Set Interest Rates?,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
542, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Balazs Egert & Ronald MacDonald, 2006.
"Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Transition Economies: Surveying the Surveyable,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1739, CESifo Group Munich.
- Balázs Égert & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Transition Economies: Surveying the Surveyable," MNB Working Papers 2006/5, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
- Weth, Mark A., 2002. "The pass-through from market interest rates to bank lending rates in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2002,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Breusch, Trevor S & Wickens, Michael R., 1987. "Dynamic Specification, the Long Run and the Estimation of Transformed Regression Models," CEPR Discussion Papers 154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ewa Wrobel & Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2002. "Monetary transmission in Poland: some evidence on interest rate and credit channels," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 24, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- repec:wdi:papers:2004-671 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bewley, R. A., 1979. "The direct estimation of the equilibrium response in a linear dynamic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 357-361.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Chmielewski, Tomasz, 2003. "Interest rate pass-through in the Polish banking sector and bank-specific financial disturbances," MPRA Paper 5133, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 31 Jan 2004.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:29:y:2007:i:2:p:209-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.