Simultaneous determination of production lot size and process parameters under process deterioration and process breakdown
The purpose of this study is to combine production-inventory management with process-quality design for determining production lot size and process parameters under the possibility of process deterioration and breakdown. The total cost of such an integrated model includes: the combined setup cost (production setup and process resetting), the costs of quality loss, tolerance and mean costs for processes established, a penalty cost for process breakdown and carrying costs for cumulated inventory. The quadratic quality loss function is introduced to assess quality loss within the system. Decision variables include the initial setting (process mean) and process tolerance for process parameters determination, and production lot size for production-inventory management. The cycle time for production-inventory management is assumed to be the same as the resetting cycle for the new process-quality system. The contribution of this study lies in its development of an integrated model that enables process parameters, production lot size, and cycle time to be determined concurrently for quality and economic considerations, and at an earlier time in the process design and production management stage. An example is presented to demonstrate the proposed model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wee, Hui-Ming & Wang, Wan-Tsu, 2012. "A supplement to the EPQ with partial backordering and phase-dependent backordering rate," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 264-266.
- Chakraborty, Tulika & Giri, B.C. & Chaudhuri, K.S., 2009. "Production lot sizing with process deterioration and machine breakdown under inspection schedule," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 257-271, April.
- Yang, Suh-Jenq & Yang, Dar-Li, 2010. "Minimizing the makespan on single-machine scheduling with aging effect and variable maintenance activities," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 528-533, December.
- Chen, Chung-Ho & Lai, Min-Tsai, 2007. "Economic manufacturing quantity, optimum process mean, and economic specification limits setting under the rectifying inspection plan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(1), pages 336-344, November.
- Kamran Moinzadeh & Prabhu Aggarwal, 1997. "Analysis of a Production/Inventory System Subject to Random Disruptions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1577-1588, November.
- Berthaut, F. & Gharbi, A. & Dhouib, K., 2011. "Joint modified block replacement and production/inventory control policy for a failure-prone manufacturing cell," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 642-654, December.
- Hyun Kim, Chang & Hong, Yushin, 1999. "An optimal production run length in deteriorating production processes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 183-189, January.
- Kuhn, Heinrich, 1997. "A dynamic lot sizing model with exponential machine breakdowns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 514-536, August.
- Hsieh, Tsu-Pang & Dye, Chung-Yuan, 2012. "A note on "The EPQ with partial backordering and phase-dependent backordering rate"," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 131-133, January.
- Kim, Chang Hyun & Hong, Yushin, 1997. "An extended EMQ model for a failure prone machine with general lifetime distribution," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 215-223, May.
- Ganeshan, Ram & Kulkarni, Shailesh & Boone, Tonya, 2001. "Production economics and process quality: A Taguchi perspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 343-350, May.
- Harry Groenevelt & Liliane Pintelon & Abraham Seidmann, 1992. "Production Lot Sizing with Machine Breakdowns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(1), pages 104-123, January.
- Dohi, Tadashi & Okamura, Hiroyuki & Osaki, Shunji, 2001. "Optimal control of preventive maintenance schedule and safety stocks in an unreliable manufacturing environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 147-155, December.
- Chang, Hung-Chi & Ho, Chia-Huei, 2010. "Exact closed-form solutions for "optimal inventory model for items with imperfect quality and shortage backordering"," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 233-237, June.
- Pentico, David W. & Drake, Matthew J. & Toews, Carl, 2011. "The EPQ with partial backordering and phase-dependent backordering rate," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 574-577, October.
- Jeang, Angus, 1998. "Reliable tool replacement policy for quality and cost," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 334-344, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:774-781. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.