Production lot sizing with process deterioration and machine breakdown under inspection schedule
The paper develops integrated production, inventory and maintenance models for a deteriorating production system in which the production facility may not only shift from an 'in-control' state to an 'out-of-control' state but also may break down at any random point in time during a production run. In case of machine breakdown, production of the interrupted lot is aborted and a new production lot is started when the on-hand inventory is depleted after corrective repair. The process is inspected during each production run to examine the state of the production process. If it is found in the 'in-control' state then either (a) no action is taken except at the time of last inspection where preventive maintenance is done (inspection policy-I) or (b) preventive maintenance is performed (inspection policy-II). If, however, the process is found to be in the 'out-of-control' state at any inspection then restoration is done. The proposed models are formulated under general shift, breakdown and repair time distributions. As it is, in general, difficult to find the optimal production policy under inspection policy-I, a suboptimal production policy is derived. Numerical examples are taken to determine numerically the optimal/suboptimal production policies of the proposed models, to examine the sensitivity of important model parameters and to compare the performance of inspection and no inspection policies.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. G. Munford, 1981. "Comparison among Certain Inspection Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(3), pages 260-267, March.
- Harry Groenevelt & Liliane Pintelon & Abraham Seidmann, 1992. "Production Lot Sizing with Machine Breakdowns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(1), pages 104-123, January.
- Dohi, Tadashi & Okamura, Hiroyuki & Osaki, Shunji, 2001. "Optimal control of preventive maintenance schedule and safety stocks in an unreliable manufacturing environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1-3), pages 147-155, December.
- Hyun Kim, Chang & Hong, Yushin, 1999. "An optimal production run length in deteriorating production processes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 183-189, January.
- Wang, Chih-Hsiung, 2005. "Integrated production and product inspection policy for a deteriorating production system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 123-134, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:37:y:2009:i:2:p:257-271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.