Stochastic lot sizing problem with controllable processing times
In this study, we consider the stochastic capacitated lot sizing problem with controllable processing times where processing times can be reduced in return for extra compression cost. We assume that the compression cost function is a convex function as it may reflect increasing marginal costs of larger reductions and may be more appropriate when the resource life, energy consumption or carbon emission are taken into consideration. We consider this problem under static uncertainty strategy and α service level constraints. We first introduce a nonlinear mixed integer programming formulation of the problem, and use the recent advances in second order cone programming to strengthen it and then solve by a commercial solver. Our computational experiments show that taking the processing times as constant may lead to more costly production plans, and the value of controllable processing times becomes more evident for a stochastic environment with a limited capacity. Moreover, we observe that controllable processing times increase the solution flexibility and provide a better solution in most of the problem instances, although the largest improvements are obtained when setup costs are high and the system has medium sized capacities.
Volume (Year): 53 (2015)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robinson, Powell & Narayanan, Arunachalam & Sahin, Funda, 2009. "Coordinated deterministic dynamic demand lot-sizing problem: A review of models and algorithms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-15, February.
- Özen, Ulaş & Doğru, Mustafa K. & Armagan Tarim, S., 2012. "Static-dynamic uncertainty strategy for a single-item stochastic inventory control problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 348-357.
- Jeang, Angus, 2012. "Simultaneous determination of production lot size and process parameters under process deterioration and process breakdown," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 774-781.
- James H. Bookbinder & Jin-Yan Tan, 1988. "Strategies for the Probabilistic Lot-Sizing Problem with Service-Level Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(9), pages 1096-1108, September.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Helber, Stefan & Sahling, Florian & Schimmelpfeng, Katja, 2011. "Dynamic capacitated lot sizing with random demand and dynamic safety stocks," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-465, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Vargas, Vicente, 2009. "An optimal solution for the stochastic version of the Wagner-Whitin dynamic lot-size model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 447-451, October.
- Keely L. Croxton & Bernard Gendron & Thomas L. Magnanti, 2003. "A Comparison of Mixed-Integer Programming Models for Nonconvex Piecewise Linear Cost Minimization Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(9), pages 1268-1273, September.
- Chen, Frank Y. & Krass, Dmitry, 2001. "Inventory models with minimal service level constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 120-140, October.
- Alper Atamtürk & Dorit S. Hochbaum, 2001. "Capacity Acquisition, Subcontracting, and Lot Sizing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(8), pages 1081-1100, August.
- Yan, Changyuan & Liao, Yi & Banerjee, Avijit, 2013. "Multi-product lot scheduling with backordering and shelf-life constraints," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 510-516.
- Dong X. Shaw & Albert P. M. Wagelmans, 1998. "An Algorithm for Single-Item Capacitated Economic Lot Sizing with Piecewise Linear Production Costs and General Holding Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(6), pages 831-838, June.
- Shabtay, Dvir & Kaspi, Moshe, 2006. "Parallel machine scheduling with a convex resource consumption function," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 92-107, August.
- Tarim, S. Armagan & Kingsman, Brian G., 2004. "The stochastic dynamic production/inventory lot-sizing problem with service-level constraints," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 105-119, March.
- Sampath Rajagopalan & Jayashankar M. Swaminathan, 2001. "A Coordinated Production Planning Model with Capacity Expansion and Inventory Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1562-1580, November.
- Tempelmeier, Horst, 2011. "A column generation heuristic for dynamic capacitated lot sizing with random demand under a fill rate constraint," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 627-633, December.
- Karimi, B. & Fatemi Ghomi, S. M. T. & Wilson, J. M., 2003. "The capacitated lot sizing problem: a review of models and algorithms," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 365-378, October.
- Rossi, Roberto & Kilic, Onur A. & Tarim, S. Armagan, 2015. "Piecewise linear approximations for the static–dynamic uncertainty strategy in stochastic lot-sizing," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 126-140.
- Kayan, Rabia K. & Akturk, M. Selim, 2005. "A new bounding mechanism for the CNC machine scheduling problems with controllable processing times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(3), pages 624-643, December.
- M. Florian & J. K. Lenstra & A. H. G. Rinnooy Kan, 1980. "Deterministic Production Planning: Algorithms and Complexity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 669-679, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:53:y:2015:i:c:p:1-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.