An investigation into the vehicle routing problem with time windows and link capacity constraints
In this work, we investigate a new, yet practical, variant of the vehicle routing problem called the vehicle routing problem with time windows and link capacity constraints (VRPTWLC). The problem considers new constraints imposed on road links with regard to vehicle passing tonnage, which is motivated by a business project with a Hong Kong transportation company that transports hazardous materials (hazmats) across the city and between Hong Kong and mainland China. In order to solve this computationally challenging problem, we develop a tabu search heuristic with an adaptive penalty mechanism (TSAP) to help manage the company's vehicle fleet. A new data set and its generation scheme are also presented to help validate our solutions. Extensive computational experiments are conducted, showing the effectiveness of the proposed solution approach.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Haibing & Lim, Andrew, 2003. "Local search with annealing-like restarts to solve the VRPTW," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 115-127, October.
- Ioannou, George & Kritikos, Manolis & Prastacos, Gregory, 2003. "A problem generator-solver heuristic for vehicle routing with soft time windows," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 41-53, February.
- John P. Norback & Robert F. Love, 1977. "Geometric Approaches to Solving the Traveling Salesman Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(11), pages 1208-1223, July.
- Wang, Xiubin & Regan, Amelia C., 2002. "Local truckload pickup and delivery with hard time window constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 97-112, February.
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Rodrigo Garrido, 2008. "Road Pricing for Hazardous Materials Transportation in Urban Networks," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 273-285, September.
- Jacobson, Sheldon H. & McLay, Laura A., 2009. "Applying statistical tests to empirically compare tabu search parameters for MAX 3-SATISFIABILITY: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 522-534, June.
- Zografos, Konstantinos G. & Androutsopoulos, Konstantinos N., 2004. "A heuristic algorithm for solving hazardous materials distribution problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 507-519, January.
- Anken, F. & Beasley, J.E., 2012. "Corporate structure optimisation for multinational companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 230-243, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:3:p:336-347. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.