A New Formulation Approach for Location-Routing Problems
A Location-Routing Problem (LRP) combines two difficult problems, facility location and vehicle routing, and as such it is inherently hard to solve. In this paper, we propose a different formulation approach than the common arc-based product-flow (Arc-BPF) approach in the literature. We associate product amounts to the nodes of the network resulting in a node-based product-flow (Node-BPF) formulation. Our main objective is to develop LRP models with fewer constraints and variables, which can be solved more efficiently. To introduce the proposed approach, we reformulate a complex four-index Arc-BPF LRP model from the literature as a three-index Node-BPF model, which computationally outperforms the former. We then introduce a heuristic method. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/regional+science/journal/11067/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barreto, Sergio & Ferreira, Carlos & Paixao, Jose & Santos, Beatriz Sousa, 2007. "Using clustering analysis in a capacitated location-routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 968-977, June.
- Perl, Jossef & Daskin, Mark S., 1985. "A warehouse location-routing problem," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 381-396, October.
- Mina, Hokey & Jayaraman, Vaidyanathan & Srivastava, Rajesh, 1998. "Combined location-routing problems: A synthesis and future research directions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-15, July.
- Nagy, Gabor & Salhi, Said, 2007. "Location-routing: Issues, models and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 649-672, March.
- Nambiar, Jay M. & Gelders, Ludo F. & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1989. "Plant location and vehicle routing in the Malaysian rubber smallholder sector: A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 14-26, January.
- Crainic, Teodor Gabriel & Laporte, Gilbert, 1997. "Planning models for freight transportation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 409-438, March.
- Yi, Wei & Ozdamar, Linet, 2007. "A dynamic logistics coordination model for evacuation and support in disaster response activities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(3), pages 1177-1193, June.
- Burcin Bozkaya & Seda Yanik & Selim Balcisoy, 2010. "A GIS-Based Optimization Framework for Competitive Multi-Facility Location-Routing Problem," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 297-320, September.
- Laporte, Gilbert & Nobert, Yves, 1981. "An exact algorithm for minimizing routing and operating costs in depot location," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 224-226, February.
- Hansen, P. H. & Hegedahl, B. & Hjortkjaer, S. & Obel, B., 1994. "A heuristic solution to the warehouse location-routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 111-127, July.
- Salhi, Said & Rand, Graham K., 1989. "The effect of ignoring routes when locating depots," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 150-156, March.
- Karaoglan, Ismail & Altiparmak, Fulya & Kara, Imdat & Dengiz, Berna, 2011. "A branch and cut algorithm for the location-routing problem with simultaneous pickup and delivery," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 318-332, June.
- Ambrosino, Daniela & Grazia Scutella, Maria, 2005. "Distribution network design: New problems and related models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 610-624, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:netspa:v:12:y:2012:i:4:p:635-659. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.