Defensive reactions to slim female images in advertising: The moderating role of mode of exposure
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Dirk Smeesters & Naomi Mandel, 2006. "Positive and Negative Media Image Effects on the Self," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(4), pages 576-582, March.
- Richins, Marsha L, 1991. "Social Comparison and the Idealized Images of Advertising," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 71-83, June.
- Kahle, Lynn R & Homer, Pamela M, 1985. "Physical Attractiveness of the Celebrity Endorser: A Social Adaptation Perspective," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 954-961, March.
- Dirk Smeesters & Thomas Mussweiler & Naomi Mandel, 2010. "The Effects of Thin and Heavy Media Images on Overweight and Underweight Consumers: Social Comparison Processes and Behavioral Implications," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(6), pages 930-949, April.
- Bargh, John A, 2002. "Losing Consciousness: Automatic Influences on Consumer Judgment, Behavior, and Motivation," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 280-285, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Willian Feitosa & Carlos Eduardo Lourenço & Lígia H. Rezende & Noemi Saeki Sunago & Susana Costa e Silva, 2021. "A Quasi-Experimental Approach to Analyzing Sexual Appeal and Gender in Advertising – Evidence from Brazil," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 33(SI), pages 67-80.
- Rishtee K Batra & Tanuka Ghoshal & Gita JoharEditor & Derek RuckerAssociate Editor, 2017. "Fill Up Your Senses: A Theory of Self-Worth Restoration through High-Intensity Sensory Consumption," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 916-938.
- Hu, Miao & Qiu, Pingping & Wan, Fang & Stillman, Tyler, 2018. "Love or hate, depends on who's saying it: How legitimacy of brand rejection alters brand preferences," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(C), pages 164-170.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Klesse, Anne-Kathrin & Goukens, Caroline & Geyskens, Kelly & de Ruyter, Ko, 2012. "Repeated exposure to the thin ideal and implications for the self: Two weight loss program studies," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 355-362.
- Leyla Jaoued-Abassi & Jean-Louis Chandon, 2007. "Celebrity endorsement in advertising: Are celebrity ads more effective than ads with unknown model or pure product ads? [Endossement par les célébrités : Les annonces avec endosseur célèbre sont-el," Post-Print hal-01128179, HAL.
- Chyong-ling Lin & Jin-Tsann Yeh, 2013. "Modeling religious involvement: a qualitative integration based on female role visualization consumption," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 561-566, January.
- K. Janssens & M. Pandelaere & K. Millet & B. Van Den Bergh & I. Lens & R. Keith, 2009. "Can Buy Me Love: How Mating Cues Influence Single Men’S Interest In High-Status Consumer Goods," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/570, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Leyla Jaoued-Abassi & Jean-Louis Chandon, 2006. "Celebrity endorsement in advertising: The mediating role of self-congruity [Efficacité de l’endossement par les célébrité en publicité : Rôle médiateur de la congruence avec l’image de soi]," Post-Print hal-01128188, HAL.
- Plotkina, Daria & Saurel, HÃ©lÃ¨ne, 2019. "Me or just like me? The role of virtual try-on and physical appearance in apparel M-retailing," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 362-377.
- Karanika, Katerina & Hogg, Margaret K., 2016. "Being kind to ourselves: Self-compassion, coping, and consumption," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 760-769.
- Brett Martin & Ekant Veer & Simon Pervan, 2007. "Self-referencing and consumer evaluations of larger-sized female models: A weight locus of control perspective," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 197-209, September.
- Chao-Ming Yang, 2020. "Influences of Product Involvement and Symbolic Consumption Cues in Advertisements on Consumer Attitudes," International Journal of Marketing Studies, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 11(2), pages 1-15, March.
- Bryan Cheng-Yu Hsu & Yu-Feng Wu & Hsin-Wei Chen & Man-Lai Cheung, 2020. "How Sport Tourism Event Image Fit Enhances Residents’ Perceptions of Place Image and Their Quality of Life," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(19), pages 1-14, October.
- Liu, Chihling & Keeling, Debbie Isobel & Hogg, Margaret K., 2016. "Strategy narratives and wellbeing challenges: The role of everyday self-presentation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 234-243.
- Jong-Woo Jun & Jun-Hyuk Cho & Ji-Hoon Lee, 2021. "Why Do Koreans Love Ethnic Players in the MLB? A Focus on Ethnic Identity and Player Identification," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 13(23), pages 1-10, November.
- Yuan, Chun Lin & Kim, Juran & Kim, Sang Jin, 2016. "Parasocial relationship effects on customer equity in the social media context," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 3795-3803.
- Chen, Yanyan & Mandler, Timo & Meyer-Waarden, Lars, 2021. "Three decades of research on loyalty programs: A literature review and future research agenda," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 179-197.
- Philip Law, 2010. "Examination of the actual turnover decisions of female auditors in public accounting: Evidence from Hong Kong," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(5), pages 484-502, May.
- Ilicic, Jasmina & Baxter, Stacey M. & Kulczynski, Alicia, 2016. "White eyes are the window to the pure soul: Metaphorical association and overgeneralization effects for spokespeople with limbal rings," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 840-855.
- Cornelis, Erlinde & Peter, Paula C., 2017. "The real campaign: The role of authenticity in the effectiveness of advertising disclaimers in digitally enhanced images," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 102-112.
- T. Poehlman & Ravi Dhar & John Bargh, 2016. "Sophisticated by Design: the Nonconscious Influence of Primed Concepts and Atmospheric Variables on Consumer Preferences," Customer Needs and Solutions, Springer;Institute for Sustainable Innovation and Growth (iSIG), vol. 3(1), pages 48-61, March.
- Ilicic, Jasmina & Webster, Cynthia M., 2011. "Effects of multiple endorsements and consumer–celebrity attachment on attitude and purchase intention," Australasian marketing journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 230-237.
- Byun, Kyung-Ah (Kay) & Duhan, Dale F. & Dass, Mayukh, 2020. "The preservation of loyalty halo effects: An investigation of the post-product-recall behavior of loyal customers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 163-175.
More about this item
KeywordsSelf-evaluation; Denigration; Product evaluation; Defense mechanism; Cognitive resources; Semantic priming; Mode of exposure; Idealized images;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jobhdp:v:120:y:2013:i:1:p:37-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/obhdp .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/obhdp .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.