Do stock prices contain predictive power for the future economic activity? A Granger causality analysis in the frequency domain
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Anton Korinek & Agustin Roitman & Carlos A. Végh, 2010. "Decoupling and Recoupling," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(2), pages 393-397, May.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeremy C. Stein & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2003.
"When Does the Market Matter? Stock Prices and the Investment of Equity-Dependent Firms,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 118(3), pages 969-1005.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeremy C. Stein & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2002. "When Does the Market Matter? Stock Prices and the Investment of Equity-Dependent Firms," NBER Working Papers 8750, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeremy C. Stein & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2002. "When Does the Market Matter? Stock Prices and the Investsment of Equity-Dependent Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1978, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Marc Gronwald, 2009. "Reconsidering the macroeconomics of the oil price in Germany: testing for causality in the frequency domain," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 441-453, May.
- Jay Choi, Jongmoo & Hauser, Shmuel & Kopecky, Kenneth J., 1999. "Does the stock market predict real activity? Time series evidence from the G-7 countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 1771-1792, December.
- Fischer, Stanley & Merton, Robert C., 1984.
"Macroeconomics and finance: The role of the stock market,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 57-108, January.
- Stanley Fischer & Robert C. Merton, 1984. "Macroeconomics and Finance: The Role of the Stock Market," NBER Working Papers 1291, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas K. Pearce, 1983. "Stock prices and the economy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Sep, pages 7-22.
- Buse, A., 1979. "Goodness-of-fit in the seemingly unrelated regressions model : A generalization," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 109-113, April.
- Koren, Stephan & Stiassny, Alfred, 1998. "Tax and Spend, or Spend and Tax? An International Study," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 163-191, April.
- António Rua, 2010. "Measuring comovement in the time-frequency space," Working Papers w201001, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Yao, Feng & Hosoya, Yuzo, 2000. "Inference on one-way effect and evidence in Japanese macroeconomic data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 225-255, October.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1990. " Stock Returns, Expected Returns, and Real Activity," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1089-1108, September.
- Henry, Ólan & Olekalns, Nilss & Shields, Kalvinder, 2010. "Sign and phase asymmetry: News, economic activity and the stock market," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1083-1100, December.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1992. " Causal Relations among Stock Returns, Interest Rates, Real Activity, and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1591-1603, September.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2008.
"Interpreting euro area inflation at high and low frequencies,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 964-986, August.
- Stefan Gerlach & Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche, 2006. "Interpreting Euro area inflation at high and low frequencies," BIS Working Papers 195, Bank for International Settlements.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2006. "Interpreting Euro Area Inflation at High and Low Frequencies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5632, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Lemmens, Aurélie & Croux, Christophe & Dekimpe, Marnik G., 2008. "Measuring and testing Granger causality over the spectrum: An application to European production expectation surveys," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 414-431.
- Breitung, Jorg & Candelon, Bertrand, 2006. "Testing for short- and long-run causality: A frequency-domain approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 363-378, June.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2008.
"Money growth, output gaps and inflation at low and high frequency: Spectral estimates for Switzerland,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 411-435, February.
- Assenmacher-Wesche, Katrin & Gerlach, Stefan, 2006. "Money Growth, Output Gaps and Inflation at Low and High Frequency: Spectral Estimates for Switzerland," CEPR Discussion Papers 5723, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katrin Assenmacher-Wesche & Stefan Gerlach, 2006. "Money Growth, Output Gaps and Inflation at Low and High Frequency: Spectral Estimates for Switzerland," Working Papers 2006-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Randall Morck & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1990. "The Stock Market and Investment: Is the Market a Sideshow?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(2), pages 157-216.
- Rua, António, 2010. "Measuring comovement in the time-frequency space," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 685-691, June.
- Yajuan Mao & Rongfu Wu, 2007. "Does The Stock Market Act As A Signal For Real Activity? Evidence From Australia," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 26(2), pages 180-192, June.
- Tsouma, Ekaterini, 2009. "Stock returns and economic activity in mature and emerging markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 668-685, May.
- Giovanni Fraquelli & Massimiliano Piacenza & Davide Vannoni, 2004. "Scope and scale economies in multi-utilities: evidence from gas, water and electricity combinations," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(18), pages 2045-2057.
- Panopoulou, Ekaterini, 2009. "Financial variables and euro area growth: A non-parametric causality analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1414-1419, November.
- Kim Sangbae & In Francis Haeuck, 2003. "The Relationship Between Financial Variables and Real Economic Activity: Evidence From Spectral and Wavelet Analyses," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-18, December.
- McElroy, Marjorie B., 1977. "Goodness of fit for seemingly unrelated regressions : Glahn's R2y.x and Hooper's r2," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 381-387, November.
- Hassapis, Christis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2002. "Investigating the links between growth and real stock price changes with empirical evidence from the G-7 economies," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 543-575.
- Mathias Binswanger, 2000. "Stock returns and real activity: is there still a connection?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 379-387.
- Binswanger, Mathias, 2004. "Stock returns and real activity in the G-7 countries: did the relationship change during the 1980s?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 237-252, May.
- McGarvey, Mary G, 1991. "The Neutrality Properties of Competing Relative Price Models: Tests Using Linear Feedback," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(1), pages 15-25, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:cup:jfinqa:v:53:y:2018:i:03:p:1371-1390_00 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paraskevi Salamaliki, 2015. "Economic Policy Uncertainty and Economic Activity: A Focus on Infrequent Structural Shifts," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2015-08, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Kristoufek, Ladislav, 2017. "Has global warming modified the relationship between sunspot numbers and global temperatures?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 468(C), pages 351-358.
- repec:taf:applec:v:49:y:2017:i:54:p:5535-5546 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dison, Will & Theodoridis, Konstantinos, 2017. "Do macro shocks matter for equities?," Bank of England working papers 692, Bank of England.
- CLAUDIU TIBERIU ALBULESCU & Daniel Goyeau & AVIRAL KUMAR TIWARI, 2013.
"Revisiting The Financial Volatility–Derivative Products Relationship On Euronext.Liffe Using A Frequency Domain Analysis,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 56(3-4), pages 349-364.
- Claudiu Albulescu & Daniel Goyeau & Aviral Kumar Tiwaric, 2013. "Revisiting The Financial Volatility – Derivative Products Relationship On Euronext. Liffe Using A Frequency Domain Analysis," Post-Print halshs-01368488, HAL.
- repec:eee:ecosta:v:6:y:2018:i:c:p:57-73 is not listed on IDEAS
- Breitung, Jörg & Schreiber, Sven, 2018.
"Assessing causality and delay within a frequency band,"
Econometrics and Statistics,
Elsevier, vol. 6(C), pages 57-73.
- Jörg Breitung & Sven Schreiber, 2016. "Assessing Causality and Delay within a Frequency Band," IMK Working Paper 165-2016, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Jamal BOUOIYOUR & Refk SELMI, 2016.
"The responses of BRICS Equities to China's Slowdown: A Multi-Scale Causality Analysis,"
2015-2016_7, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised May 2016.
- Jamal Bouoiyour & Refk Selmi, 2018. "The responses of BRICS Equities to China's Slowdown: A Multi-Scale Causality Analysis," Working Papers hal-01880323, HAL.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Mutascu, Mihai Ioan & Albulescu, Claudiu Tiberiu & Kyophilavong, Phouphet, 2015. "Frequency domain causality analysis of stock market and economic activity in India," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 224-238.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Chang, Tsangyao & Ranjbar, Omid, 2016. "Asymmetric causality using frequency domain and time-frequency domain (wavelet) approaches," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 66-78.
- Lawal Isola ADEDOYIN & Frank AWONUSI & Martins I. OLOYE, 2015. "All share price and inflation volatility in Nigeria. An application of the EGARCH model," EuroEconomica, Danubius University of Galati, issue 1(34), pages 75-82, May.
- Geraci, Marco Valerio & Gnabo, Jean-Yves, 2018.
"Measuring Interconnectedness between Financial Institutions with Bayesian Time-Varying Vector Autoregressions,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 53(03), pages 1371-1390, June.
- Marco Valerio Geraci & Jean-Yves Gnabo, 2015. "Measuring interconnectedness between financial institutions with Bayesian time-varying vector autoregressions," Working Papers ECARES 2015-51, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:spr:empeco:v:53:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s00181-016-1142-0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bozoklu, Seref & Yilanci, Veli, 2013. "Energy consumption and economic growth for selected OECD countries: Further evidence from the Granger causality test in the frequency domain," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 877-881.
- Marco Valerio Geraci & Jean-Yves Gnabo, 2015. "Measuring Interconnectedness between Financial Institutions with Bayesian Time-Varying VARS," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2015-51, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:eee:phsmap:v:493:y:2018:i:c:p:107-115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mikhail Stolbov, 2017.
"Causality between credit depth and economic growth: evidence from 24 OECD countries,"
Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 493-524, September.
- Stolbov, Mikhail, 2015. "Causality between credit depth and economic growth: Evidence from 24 OECD countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 15/2015, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
More about this item
KeywordsFrequency domain; Granger causality; Gross domestic product; Predictive power; Stock prices;
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes; State Space Models
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmacro:v:35:y:2013:i:c:p:93-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622617 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.