The dampening effect of bank foreign liabilities on monetary policy: Revisiting monetary cooperation in East Asia
This paper addresses the cost of formal monetary cooperation from the perspective of monetary policy effectiveness. As banks tend to borrow from abroad in foreign currencies to fund domestic lending, monetary policy may have a reduced effect on the credit market and the economy. Results derived from bank level data in East Asia indicate that bank foreign liabilities significantly reduce the effectiveness of the credit channel of monetary policy, implying a relatively low cost of giving up monetary autonomy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006.
"Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort,"
Research Department Publications
4504, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006. "Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort," NBER Working Papers 12788, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2006. "Monetary Policy Challenges in Emerging Markets: Sudden Stop, Liability Dollarization, and Lender of Last Resort," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6841, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Choi, Woon Gyu & Cook, David, 2004.
"Liability dollarization and the bank balance sheet channel,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 247-275, December.
- David Cook & Woon Gyu Choi, 2002. "Liability Dollarization and the Bank Balance Sheet Channel," IMF Working Papers 02/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Tenreyro, Silvana, 2007.
"On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 485-508, March.
- Silvana Tenreyro, 2003. "On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility," Working Papers 03-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Robert N McCauley, 2001.
"Setting Monetary Policy in East Asia: Goals, Developments and Institutions,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: David Gruen & John Simon (ed.), Future Directions for Monetary Policies in East Asia
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Robert N McCauley, 2002. "Setting Monetary Policy in East Asia: Goals, Developments and Institutions," Occasional Papers, South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number occ33, May.
- Barry Eichengreen & Poonam Gupta & Ashoka Mody, 2006.
"Sudden Stops and IMF-Supported Programs,"
NBER Working Papers
12235, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Zhaoyong Zhang & Kiyotaka Sato & Michael McAleer, 2004. "Is a monetary union feasible for East Asia?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1031-1043.
- Ogawa, Eiji & Yang, Doo Yong, 2008. "The dilemma of exchange rate arrangements in East Asia," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 217-235, March.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004.
"FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
184, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences," Business School Working Papers findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Federico Sturzenegger & Agustín Villar, 2004. "On the Consequences of Sudden Stops," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Cavallo, Eduardo A. & Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2008.
"Does openness to trade make countries more vulnerable to sudden stops, or less? Using gravity to establish causality,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1430-1452, December.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Eduardo A. Cavallo, 2004. "Does Openness to Trade Make Countries More Vulnerable to Sudden Stops, Or Less? Using Gravity to Establish Causality," NBER Working Papers 10957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Cavallo, Eduardo, 2004. "Does Openness to Trade Make Countries More Vulnerable to Sudden Stops, or Less? Using Gravity to Establish Causality," Working Paper Series rwp04-038, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Eduardo A. Cavallo & Jeffrey Frankel, 2007. "Does Openness to Trade Make Countries More Vulnerable to Sudden Stops, or Less? Using Gravity to Establish Causality," Research Department Publications 4544, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Peter Wilson & Choy Keen Meng, 2006.
"Prospects For Enhanced Exchange Rate Cooperation in East Asia: Some Preliminary Findings from Generalized PPP Theory,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0601, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Peter Wilson & Keen Meng Choy, 2007. "Prospects for enhanced exchange rate cooperation in East Asia: some preliminary findings from generalized PPP theory," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 981-995.
- Mishra, Ritesh Kumar & Sharma, Chandan, 2010. "Real exchange rate behavior and optimum currency area in East Asia: Evidence from Generalized Purchasing Power Parity," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 205-213, June.
- Chow, Hwee Kwan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2003. "A common currency peg in East Asia? Perspectives from Western Europe," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 331-350, September.
- de Brito, José Brandão, 2004. "Monetary Integration in East Asia: An Empirical Approach," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 19, pages 536-567.
- Honig, Adam, 2009. "Dollarization, exchange rate regimes and government quality," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 198-214, March.
- Sevestre, Patrick & Martinez-Pages, Jorge & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Ehrmann, Michael & Worms, Andreas, 2001.
"Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2001,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge & Sevestre, Patrick & Worms, Andreas, 2001. "Financial systems and the role of banks in monetary policy transmission in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0105, European Central Bank.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martínez-Pagés & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Financial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro Area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0118, Banco de Espa�a.
- Michael Ehrmann & Leonardo Gambacorta & Jorge Martï¿½nez-Pagï¿½s & Patrick Sevestre & Andreas Worms, 2001. "Fynancial Systems and the Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in the Euro area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 432, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Zhang, Hongfang, 2007. "A currency union or an exchange rate union: evidence from Northeast Asia," MPRA Paper 36622, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Feb 2012.
- Honig, Adam, 2005. "Fear of floating and domestic liability dollarization," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 289-307, September.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kiyotaka Sato & Zhaoyong Zhang, 2006. "Real Output Co-movements in East Asia: Any Evidence for a Monetary Union?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(12), pages 1671-1689, December.
- Christina D. Romer & David H. Romer, 1990. "New Evidence on the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 149-214.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jimfin:v:31:y:2012:i:2:p:412-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.