The price of protein: Review of land use and carbon footprints from life cycle assessments of animal food products and their substitutes
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- González, Alejandro D. & Frostell, Björn & Carlsson-Kanyama, Annika, 2011. "Protein efficiency per unit energy and per unit greenhouse gas emissions: Potential contribution of diet choices to climate change mitigation," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 562-570, October.
- Davies, R.W.D. & Cripps, S.J. & Nickson, A. & Porter, G., 2009. "Defining and estimating global marine fisheries bycatch," Marine Policy, Elsevier, pages 661-672.
- Stehfest, Elke & Berg, Maurits van den & Woltjer, Geert & Msangi, Siwa & Westhoek, Henk, 2013. "Options to reduce the environmental effects of livestock production – Comparison of two economic models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 38-53.
- Casey, J.W. & Holden, N.M., 2005. "Analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from the average Irish milk production system," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 97-114.
- Ellingsen, H. & Olaussen, J.O. & Utne, I.B., 2009. "Environmental analysis of the Norwegian fishery and aquaculture industry--A preliminary study focusing on farmed salmon," Marine Policy, Elsevier, pages 479-488.
- Vergé, X.P.C. & Dyer, J.A. & Desjardins, R.L. & Worth, D., 2008. "Greenhouse gas emissions from the Canadian beef industry," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 126-134.
- Thomassen, M.A. & van Calker, K.J. & Smits, M.C.J. & Iepema, G.L. & de Boer, I.J.M., 2008. "Life cycle assessment of conventional and organic milk production in the Netherlands," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 95-107.
- Verge, X.P.C. & Dyer, J.A. & Desjardins, R.L. & Worth, D., 2007. "Greenhouse gas emissions from the Canadian dairy industry in 2001," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 683-693.
- Pelletier, Nathan & Pirog, Rich & Rasmussen, Rebecca, 2010. "Comparative life cycle environmental impacts of three beef production strategies in the Upper Midwestern United States," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 380-389.
- Haxsen, Gerhard, 2008. "Calculating costs of pig production with the InterPIG network," Arbeitsberichte aus der vTI-Agrarökonomie 04/2008, Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Flysjö, Anna & Henriksson, Maria & Cederberg, Christel & Ledgard, Stewart & Englund, Jan-Eric, 2011. "The impact of various parameters on the carbon footprint of milk production in New Zealand and Sweden," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 459-469.
- Vázquez-Rowe, Ian & Moreira, María Teresa & Feijoo, Gumersindo, 2012. "Environmental assessment of frozen common octopus (Octopus vulgaris) captured by Spanish fishing vessels in the Mauritanian EEZ," Marine Policy, Elsevier, pages 180-188.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hyland, J.J. & Styles, D. & Jones, D.L. & Williams, A.P., 2016. "Improving livestock production efficiencies presents a major opportunity to reduce sectoral greenhouse gas emissions," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 123-131.
- Angelina Sanderson Bellamy & Antonio A. R. Ioris, 2017. "Addressing the Knowledge Gaps in Agroecology and Identifying Guiding Principles for Transforming Conventional Agri-Food Systems," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(3), pages 1-17, February.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:8:p:1340-:d:106466 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Scarborough & Paul Appleby & Anja Mizdrak & Adam Briggs & Ruth Travis & Kathryn Bradbury & Timothy Key, 2014. "Dietary greenhouse gas emissions of meat-eaters, fish-eaters, vegetarians and vegans in the UK," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 125(2), pages 179-192, July.
- repec:spr:climat:v:142:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10584-017-1912-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Westhoek, Henk & Ingram, John & van Berkum, Siemen & Hajer, Maarten, 2015. "The European food system and natural resources: Impacts and Options," 148th Seminar, November 30-December 1, 2015, The Hague, The Netherlands 229279, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Röös, Elin & Patel, Mikaela & Spångberg, Johanna, 2016. "Producing oat drink or cow's milk on a Swedish farm — Environmental impacts considering the service of grazing, the opportunity cost of land and the demand for beef and protein," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 23-32.
- Apostolidis, Chrysostomos & McLeay, Fraser, 2016. "Should we stop meating like this? Reducing meat consumption through substitution," Food Policy, Elsevier, pages 74-89.
- Goldstein, Benjamin & Hansen, Steffen Foss & Gjerris, Mickey & Laurent, Alexis & Birkved, Morten, 2016. "Ethical aspects of life cycle assessments of diets," Food Policy, Elsevier, pages 139-151.
- Peters, Christian J. & Picardy, Jamie A. & Darrouzet-Nardi, Amelia & Griffin, Timothy S., 2014. "Feed conversions, ration compositions, and land use efficiencies of major livestock products in U.S. agricultural systems," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 35-43.
- Forte, Annachiara & Zucaro, Amalia & De Vico, Gionata & Fierro, Angelo, 2016. "Carbon footprint of heliciculture: A case study from an Italian experimental farm," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, pages 99-111.
- Pierer, Magdalena & Winiwarter, Wilfried & Leach, Allison M. & Galloway, James N., 2014. "The nitrogen footprint of food products and general consumption patterns in Austria," Food Policy, Elsevier, pages 128-136.
- Panzone, Luca A. & Lemke, Fred & Petersen, Henry L., 2016. "Biases in consumers' assessment of environmental damage in food chains and how investments in reputation can help," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, pages 327-337.
- Gerhard Flachowsky & Ulrich Meyer, 2015. "Challenges for Plant Breeders from the View of Animal Nutrition," Agriculture, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(4), pages 1-25, December.
- S. Marije Seves & Elisabeth H. M. Temme & Marinka C. C. Brosens & Michiel C. Zijp & Jeljer Hoekstra & Anne Hollander, 2016. "Sustainability aspects and nutritional composition of fish: evaluation of wild and cultivated fish species consumed in the Netherlands," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 135(3), pages 597-610, April.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:11:p:2003-:d:117255 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abeliotis, Konstadinos & Costarelli, Vassiliki & Anagnostopoulos, Konstadinos, 2016. "The Effect of Different Types of Diet on Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Greece," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 7(1).
- de Ruiter, Henri & Kastner, Thomas & Nonhebel, Sanderine, 2014. "European dietary patterns and their associated land use: Variation between and within countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, pages 158-166.
- Hunter, Erik & Röös, Elin, 2016. "Fear of climate change consequences and predictors of intentions to alter meat consumption," Food Policy, Elsevier, pages 151-160.
- repec:gam:jsusta:v:9:y:2017:i:12:p:2313-:d:122609 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:climat:v:143:y:2017:i:1:d:10.1007_s10584-017-1969-1 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
KeywordsProtein; Meat; Dairy; Fish; Meat substitutes; Environmental impact; Land use; Carbon footprint; Life cycle assessment (LCA);
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:37:y:2012:i:6:p:760-770. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.