A Note on the Core of a Monetary Economy
This note shows that there are monetary equilibria in the model of overlapping generations that are in the core. These equilibria have positive stocks of outside money in every generation, and they support Pareto-optimal equilibrium allocations. These equilibria are thus self-enforcing, and introducing money into an economy with infinitely many agents need not be tantamount to contriving a new social institution designed to enforce sequential contracts between generations. Journal of Economic Literature Classification Numbers: E40, E60, C71.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1981. "The overlapping-generations model. III. The case of log-linear utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 143-152, February.
- Fisher, Eric O'N, 1996.
"On Exchange Rates and Efficiency,"
Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 267-81, February.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1981. "The overlapping-generations model. II. The case of pure exchange with money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 112-142, February.
- Kovenock, Dan, 1984. "A second note on the core of the overlapping generations model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 101-106.
- Shell, Karl, 1971. "Notes on the Economics of Infinity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 1002-11, Sept.-Oct.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K., 1990.
"The economics of indeterminacy in overlapping generations models,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1990. "The Economics of Indeterminacy in Overlapping Generations Models," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2193, David K. Levine.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1980. "Existence of competitive equilibrium in a general overlapping-generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 307-322, December.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1991.
"Generational Accounts: A Meaningful Alternative to Deficit Accounting,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 55-110
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1991. "Generational accounts: a meaningful alternative to deficit accounting," Working Paper 9103, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Jagadeesh Gokhale & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1991. "Generational Accounts - A Meaningful Alternative to Deficit Accounting," NBER Working Papers 3589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Gale, David, 1973. "Pure exchange equilibrium of dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, February.
- Gale, Douglas, 1978. "The core of a monetary economy without trust," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 456-491, December.
- Esteban, J., 1986. "A characterization of the core in overlapping-generations economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 439-456, August.
- Chae Suchan & Esteban Joan, 1993. "Core Equivalence in an Overlapping Generations Model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 417-425, April.
- Hendricks, Ken & Judd, Ken & Kovenock, Dan, 1980. "A note on the core of the overlapping generations model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 95-97.
- Esteban, J. & Millan, T., 1990. "Competitive equilibria and the core of overlapping generations economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 155-174, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:74:y:1997:i:2:p:425-434. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.