Commodity money with frequent search
A prominent feature of the Kiyotaki–Wright model of commodity money is multiplicity of dynamic equilibria. We show that the extent of multiplicity hinges on the frequency of search. Holding fixed the average number of meetings over time, we vary search frequency by altering the interval between search opportunities. To isolate the role of search frequency, we focus on symmetric equilibria in a symmetric environment. For each frequency we characterize the entire set of payoffs, strategies, and dynamic paths consistent with equilibrium. Indexed by these features, as search frequency increases the set of equilibria converges uniformly to a unique limiting equilibrium.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & Randall Wright, 1991.
"More on money as a medium of exchange,"
140, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2004.
"A Sunspot Paradox,"
150, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Renero, Juan-Manuel, 1999. "Does and Should a Commodity Medium of Exchange Have Relatively Low Storage Costs?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 251-64, May.
- Boldrin, Michele & Montrucchio, Luigi, 1986. "On the indeterminacy of capital accumulation paths," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 26-39, October.
- Russell Cooper & Andrew John, 1988. "Coordinating Coordination Failures in Keynesian Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(3), pages 441-463.
- Aiyagari, S Rao & Wallace, Neil, 1992. "Fiat Money in the Kiyotaki-Wright Model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(4), pages 447-64, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:147:y:2012:i:6:p:2332-2356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.