Do strategic marketing and social capital really matter in regional clusters? Lessons from an emerging economy of Latin America
This research explores the relationship between geographic proximity and the building of social capital and inter-firm cooperation in strategic marketing. By emphasizing social interactions and the building of social capital, we extend the research on industry clusters beyond traditional economic perspectives and factors motivating cooperation between firms. The empirical study is based on a survey of 90 senior managers from three natural resources-based industries (two non-clustered and one clustered) in Chile. The results show that managers in clustered versus non-clustered industries differ in terms of the perceived value of location, the perceived value of building social capital, their involvement in activities that build social capital, their attitudes toward cooperative marketing, their history of involvement in cooperative marketing activities, and their intentions for engaging in cooperative marketing activities in the future. Trade associations in clustered versus non-clustered industries play different roles in regard to creating social capital. The article concludes by discussing the implications of these findings for researchers, managers and policy makers.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J Adam Holbrook & David A Wolfe, 2005. "The Innovation Systems Research Network: a Canadian experiment in knowledge management," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 109-118, April.
- Eva Berggren & Åsa Lindholm Dahlstrand, 2009. "Creating an Entrepreneurial Region: Two Waves of Academic Spin-offs from Halmstad University," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 1171-1189, February.
- Michael Steiner & Michael Ploder, 2008. "Structure and Strategy within Heterogeneity: Multiple Dimensions of Regional Networking," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 793-815.
- Erik Stam, 2009. "Cluster Creation," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(2), pages 319-323.
- Maryann P. Feldman & Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1998.
"The Impact and Organization of Publicly-Funded Research and development in the European Community,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 49-50, pages 199-222.
- Maryann P. Feldman & Frank R. Lichtenberg, 1997. "The Impact and Organization of Publicly-Funded Research and Development in the European Community," NBER Working Papers 6040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julia Porter Liebeskind & Amalya Lumerman Oliver & Lynne Zucker & Marilynn Brewer, 1996. "Social networks, Learning, and Flexibility: Sourcing Scientific Knowledge in New Biotechnology Firms," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 428-443, August.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael E. Porter & Scott Stern, 2010. "Clusters and entrepreneurship," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 495-518, July.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael Porter & Scott Stern, 2010. "Clusters and Entrepreneurship," Working Papers 10-31, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fastoso, Fernando & Whitelock, Jeryl, 2010. "Regionalization vs. globalization in advertising research: Insights from five decades of academic study," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 32-42, March.
- William B. Stevenson & Robert F. Radin, 2009. "Social Capital and Social Influence on the Board of Directors," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 16-44, January.
- Eisingerich, Andreas B. & Bell, Simon J. & Tracey, Paul, 2010. "How can clusters sustain performance? The role of network strength, network openness, and environmental uncertainty," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 239-253, March.
- Samiee, Saeed & Athanassiou, Nicholas, 1998. "International Strategy Research: Cross-Cultural Methodology Implications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 79-96, October.
- Jason Owen-Smith & Walter W. Powell, 2004. "Knowledge Networks as Channels and Conduits: The Effects of Spillovers in the Boston Biotechnology Community," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(1), pages 5-21, February.
- Harald Bathelt, 2005. "Cluster Relations in the Media Industry: Exploring the 'Distanced Neighbour' Paradox in Leipzig," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 105-127.
- Rajdeep Grewal & Gary L. Lilien & Girish Mallapragada, 2006. "Location, Location, Location: How Network Embeddedness Affects Project Success in Open Source Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(7), pages 1043-1056, July.
- Peter Brown & Rod McNaughton & Jim Bell, 2010. "Marketing externalities in industrial clusters: A literature review and evidence from the Christchurch, New Zealand electronics cluster," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 168-181, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:67:y:2014:i:4:p:498-507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.