Team and organizational resources, strategic orientations, and firm performance in a transitional economy
Firms in transitional economies are learning to develop strategies to exploit new market opportunities though bounded by their lack of market experience and resources as well as institutional and cultural heritage. This paper examines the managerial orientations of top managers in the transitional economy of China by focusing on a firm's team and organizational resources. Specifically, the following antecedents motivate a firm to put more emphases on strategic orientations: the firm has an effective top management team, strong managerial competences, and when the firm has ample endowment of slack resources, social network, and support from the institutional environment. Empirical results support that team orientation, managerial competence, social network, and local institutional support are instrumental in developing market-focused strategic orientations. In addition, strategic orientations with heavy emphases on overall low costs and product innovation relate to higher firm performance.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Mike W. Peng, 2005. "Strategy Research in Emerging Economies: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, 01.
- Davis, Peter S. & Schul, Patrick L., 1993. "Addressing the contingent effects of business unit strategic orientation on relationships between organizational context and business unit performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 183-200, July.
- Daphne W Yiu & ChungMing Lau & Garry D Bruton, 2007. "International venturing by emerging economy firms: the effects of firm capabilities, home country networks, and corporate entrepreneurship," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 519-540, July.
- Daphne Yiu & Yuan Lu, 2005. "Understanding Business Group Performance in an Emerging Economy: Acquiring Resources and Capabilities in Order to Prosper," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 183-206, 01.
- Tan, Justin & Li, Shaomin & Xia, Jun, 2007. "When iron fist, visible hand, and invisible hand meet: Firm-level effects of varying institutional environments in China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 786-794, July.
- Zhou, Kevin Zheng & Brown, James R. & Dev, Chekitan S., 2009. "Market orientation, competitive advantage, and performance: A demand-based perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1063-1070, November.
- Yadong Luo & Rosalie L Tung, 2007. "International expansion of emerging market enterprises: A springboard perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 481-498, July.
- Chung-Ming Lau & David K Tse & Nan Zhou, 2002. "Institutional Forces and Organizational Culture in China: Effects on Change Schemas, Firm Commitment and Job Satisfaction," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(3), pages 533-550, September.
- Daniel, Francis & Lohrke, Franz T. & Fornaciari, Charles J. & Turner, R. Jr., 2004. "Slack resources and firm performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 565-574, June.
- Ramos-Garza, Claudia, 2009. "TMT strategic consensus in Mexican companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(9), pages 854-860, September.
- Buck, Trevor & Filatotchev, Igor & Nolan, Peter & Wright, Mike, 2000. "Different paths to economic reform in Russia and China: causes and consequences," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 379-400, January.
- Guofu Tan & Justin Yifu Lin, 1999. "Policy Burdens, Accountability, and the Soft Budget Constraint," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 426-431, May.
- Mike W. Peng & Justin Tan & Tony W. Tong, 2004. "Ownership Types and Strategic Groups in an Emerging Economy," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(7), pages 1105-1129, November.
- Ma, Xufei & Yao, Xiaotao & Xi, Youmin, 2009. "How do interorganizational and interpersonal networks affect a firm's strategic adaptive capability in a transition economy?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(11), pages 1087-1095, November.
- Kevin Zhou & Caroline Li, 2007. "How does strategic orientation matter in Chinese firms?," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 447-466, December.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Yiu, Daphne W. & Yeung, Ping-Kwong & Lu, Yuan, 2008. "Strategic orientation of high-technology firms in a transitional economy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(7), pages 765-777, July.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Ngo, Hang-Yue, 2004. "The HR system, organizational culture, and product innovation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 685-703, December.
- Guoquan Chen & Dean Tjosvold & Chunhong Liu, 2006. "Cooperative Goals, Leader People and Productivity Values: Their Contribution to Top Management Teams in China," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(5), pages 1177-1200, 07.
- Tan, Justin, 2003. "Curvilinear Relationship Between Organizational Slack and Firm Performance:: Evidence from Chinese State Enterprises," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 740-749, December.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Strong, Carolyn A., 2003. "Business performance and dimensions of strategic orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 163-176, March.
- Houghton, Susan M. & Smith, Anne D. & Hood, Jacqueline N., 2009. "The influence of social capital on strategic choice: An examination of the effects of external and internal network relationships on strategic complexity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1255-1261, December.
- Luo, Xueming & Zhou, Lianxi & Liu, Sandra S., 2005. "Entrepreneurial firms in the context of China's transition economy: an integrative framework and empirical examination," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 277-284, March.
- Li-Qun Wei & Chung-Ming Lau, 2008. "The impact of market orientation and strategic HRM on firm performance: the case of Chinese enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(6), pages 980-995, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:64:y:2011:i:12:p:1344-1351. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.