Asset specificity roles in interfirm cooperation: Reducing opportunistic behavior or increasing cooperative behavior?
Extant research offers two alternative mechanisms for relating the asset specificity of a cooperative relationship to partnership performance. Transaction cost economics argues that the specific assets invested in a partnership increase the hazards of opportunism. As firms select appropriate governance structures to reduce opportunistic behavior, performance increases. On the other hand, relational exchange theory suggests that asset specificity enhances the trust between partners, which in turn leads to more cooperative behavior and higher partnership performance. This paper tests both mechanisms simultaneously on a sample of procurement relationships between Hong Kong trading firms and their Chinese suppliers using SEM methods. Our results support the predictions of relational exchange theory more than those of transaction cost economics. The paper also discusses the role of the Chinese context on theory application.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lyons, Bruce R & Mehta, Judith, 1997. "Contracts, Opportunism and Trust: Self-Interest and Social Orientation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 239-57, March.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Rajiv Lal, 1990. "Improving Channel Coordination Through Franchising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(4), pages 299-318.
- Jean L Johnson & John B Cullen & Tomoaki Sakano & Hideyuki Takenouchi, 1996. "Setting the Stage for Trust and Strategic Integration in Japanese-U.S. Cooperative Alliances," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 981-1004, December.
- Balakrishnan, Srinivasan & Koza, Mitchell P., 1993. "Information asymmetry, adverse selection and joint-ventures : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 99-117, January.
- Dionisis Skarmeas & Constantine S Katsikeas & Bodo B Schlegelmilch, 2002. "Drivers of Commitment and its Impact on Performance in Cross-Cultural Buyer-Seller Relationships: The Importer's Perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(4), pages 757-783, December.
- Lui, Steven S. & Ngo, Hang-yue & Hon, Alice H.Y., 2006. "Coercive strategy in interfirm cooperation: Mediating roles of interpersonal and interorganizational trust," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 466-474, April.
- Robert J. Pearce, 2001. "Looking inside the joint venture to help understand the link between inter-parent cooperation and performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 557-582, 06.
- James Anderson & David Gerbing, 1984. "The effect of sampling error on convergence, improper solutions, and goodness-of-fit indices for maximum likelihood confirmatory factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 155-173, June.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1987. "Contract Duration and Relationship-Specific Investments: Empirical Evidence from Coal Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(1), pages 168-85, March.
- Jorge Walter & Christoph Lechner & Franz W. Kellermanns, 2008. "Disentangling Alliance Management Processes: Decision Making, Politicality, and Alliance Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 530-560, 05.
- Preet S. Aulakh & F. Esra Gençtürk, 2008. "Contract Formalization and Governance of Exporter-Importer Relationships," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 457-479, 05.
- Chong Ju Choi & Soo Hee Lee & Jai Boem Kim, 1999. "A Note on Countertrade: Contractual Uncertainty and Transaction Governance in Emerging Economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 189-201, March.
- Yadong Luo, 2005. "Transactional characteristics, institutional environment and joint venture contracts," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(2), pages 209-230, March.
- Joskow, Paul L, 1988. "Asset Specificity and the Structure of Vertical Relationships: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 95-117, Spring.
- Sandy D. Jap & Erin Anderson, 2003. "Safeguarding Interorganizational Performance and Continuity Under Ex Post Opportunism," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(12), pages 1684-1701, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:62:y:2009:i:11:p:1214-1219. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.